Volleyball Taking League By Storm

Volleyball Taking League By Storm

Amaya Armas, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High varsity volleyball team continues through league, with their current record of  5-1. After taking the win against West, winning 3-0 in sets, the girls start the second round of league. The  girls prepare to play teams for the second time and have set goals for the Saint Mary’s High School and West High School games, which are their rivals.

Natalie Laiolo said, “We’ve establishes a mentality playing teams such as St. Marys. Walking into the game with our heads held high and we put our hearts out on the court. We definitely have worked on maintaining our stamina as these are tough teams that will work us hard during games.”

Leila Sardinha said, “Ideally, it would be capitalizing on our serve receive and first ball kills, but personally, I wish to be consistent in my hitting and serving while staying aggressive all throughout.”

Continuing on through the season the girls have established goals for themselves in which they want to accomplish or have accomplished.

Aly Cargill said, “It’s been a dream of mine for a long time to get over a 80% scholarship for volleyball to a D1 college. With it being my first year on varsity as a sophomore, I hope to make that dream come true.”

Sardinha follows up with, “So far, my biggest accomplishment is having a full-ride scholarship to Seattle University, for a D1 college for volleyball, as well as being part of USA Volleyball’s digital magazine for an interview. An accomplishment I would like to achieve this year, is ending my stats in the positive ratios and maybe getting MVP for league or part of First Team. That would be cool.”

Laiolo concludes with her goal by saying, “Most recently I have accomplished a total of 1,000 assists in my high school  volleyball career. I have lots of interests from colleges and plan on going on my official visits in early 2020. Since I am a junior, this is a big year for recruiting and I can’t wait to see what is in store for me.”

As the travel club team tryouts are right around the corner, the volleyball girls know that in order to improve, they need to continue volleyball on their off season to get better, compete with tougher competition, and ensure a possible scholarship or to improve for High School season.

Laiolo stated, “I will be playing at NorCal Volleyball Club located in Pleasanton, California, on their 17s team. I am super excited for this club season and what it has in store for our team.”

“I am planning to play club volleyball this year as it will be my last before college, I will be playing on Rage Volleyball Club as a Setter for Greg’s 18s team. They are located in Ripon and are currently getting a new facility sometime in November,” said Sardinha.