Q + A: Agricultural science teacher Mary Maddux

Mrs. Maddux helps Hunter Andrade, sophomore, and Matthew Bongiovanni, sophomore, with homework

Isabelle Milburn

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

Agriculture teacher, Mary Maddux loves her job. She enjoys being able to work with kids and help them not only with school, but with life in general. Maddux got into agriculture as she grew up because it was a family tradition.

Why did you decide to teach agriculture? “My mother, father, and brother are all agriculture teachers, so it seemed a natural fit.”

What do you love most about your job? “I love seeing students find their voice through our leadership and FFA activities.”

What is the most difficult part of your job? “Trying to reach the most challenging students.”

What do you love most about working with kids? “They keep me young. Their spirit, character and motivation remind me about the important things in life. They also entertain me occasionally.” 

What do you consider the most important thing you’ve ever done? “I want to believe that I have yet to do the most important thing.  It keeps me making the most of everyday.”

Where did you go to high school? College? How did these places impact you? “I went to Chowchilla High School, then Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for college in animal science, and North Dakota State for my Master’s in Genetics.”

What drives or motivates you? “The ability to start fresh each day and be a better person than the day before.  Oh, I also like to be the best (at as many things as possible)!”

What is something your students are going to learn this year? “All my classes will meet their standards (from Ag physics to veterinary science to ROP meat processing), but they will also have a deep understanding and appreciation for agriculture and the impact it has on them.”

What makes you happy? “I just love to laugh . . . So, working with kids there is always that opportunity.”

Do you have a go-to snack? What is it and when do you eat it? “I love Snyder’s honey and mustard pretzels.  Anytime . . .”

Do you have a bucket list? What are some things that are on it? “The day I turned, a certain age that will not be mentioned, instead of having a birthday party each year, I do something from my bucket list.  Last year’s birthday was a hot air balloon ride!”

What super power would you like to have and why? “The power to age very slowly! I would gain the wisdom, but have more time to practice what is learned.”