Q + A: History teacher Justin Nunn

Junior Carlos Medreno asks U.S. History teacher Justin Nunn a question about an  assignment.

Hayley Nunes

Junior Carlos Medreno asks U.S. History teacher Justin Nunn a question about an assignment.

Hayley Nunes, Staff Reporter

Justin Nunn is fascinated by history.  He believes history is about crazy and weird people who make up history. He loves being able to talk about a subject he enjoys every single day. He also loves interacting with his students, getting to know them, and having fun. Nunn teaches US History and American Government and Economics. He also is the adviser for the Tracy High School Mock Trial.

What is your favorite movie? “My favorite movie is the ‘Princess Bride’ because it is funny, well done, and based on a really good book.”

What is your favorite style of music, artist, and song? “My favorite style of music is Ska. My favorite artist is the Streetlight Manifesto, but my favorite song is ‘Take on Me’ by Aha because it is amazing, the horns are amazing, and it sounds great.”

What is your favorite food? “My favorite food in the world is Mexican food. I like Mexican food because it’s good and spicy.  My favorite type of Mexican food is a burrito, but the best was at my wedding and my friend made some fajitas. They were really good.”

How many magazines do you subscribe to? Which ones? “I subscribe to two magazines: Hot VW’s and Hot Rodder. I like these magazines because I love cars and they are fun to read.”

What is your favorite day of the week? “My favorite day of the week is Thursday because the social science department and I put on bow ties and we walk around and feel important.”

What was you first car? “My very first car was a1983 Ford Mustang. It was charcoal grey and I had it for a month then I sold it and bought another car.”

What was your favorite car?  “My favorite car is my 1979 Camaro. It’s dark blue with black racing stripes. It’s so cool.”

Where did you go to college? “I first went to Modesto Junior College, and then I transferred over to California State University Stanislaus because I wanted to be close to home. I really enjoyed college. It was fun.”

What is the best thing about teaching at Tracy High? “The best thing at Tracy High is the people I work with and the students are okay.”
What is the difficult part of your job? “The most difficult part of my job is that not every one cares much about history as much as I do. Also, trying to teach when there are people in the room who don’t care what I am talking about is hard.”

What is the most exciting part of your job? “The most exciting part is summer. I also love when I am teaching a lesson and my students are participating in it and having a good time.”

How long have you been teaching at Tracy High? “I have been teaching at Tracy for seven years.”