Varsity boys’ soccer team makes it to playoffs

Wayne Thallander

Jacob Gonzalez is running to get to the ball before the Tokay player.

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

The Varsity boys’ soccer season ended with a loss to Vintage, 9-0, in the second round of the section playoffs on Nov. 7. Coach Phil Kalis is proud of the team for achieving its goals.

“I am proud of my team making it to playoffs,” Kalis sai., “We had low expectations for this season, so I think we played with less pressure.”

Sophomore Jake Pranke and junior Moises Gonzalez had a great experience on their first year on varsity. They believed that the team reached its main goals.

“The ending was not good because we lost,” Pranke said. “However I think we excelled throughout the season. We were not expected to make it to playoffs, so we did pretty well.”

Gonzalez had some emotion about the loss against Vintage.

“I kind of felt bad because we did not make it farther,” Gonzalez said. “We had a great season. I hope we do better next year.”

Kalis had many favorite moments throughout the season, but if he had to choose one moment it would be when junior Josh Clarke wore a hat to practice.

“Josh is a funny guy in general,” Kalis said. “He would wear the hat the whole entire practice, and I would not understand why.”

Pranke also laughs at that moment and enjoys Clarke everytime they are together.

“Josh is just Josh,” Pranke said. “He is just an original guy, and I enjoy having him as a teammate.”

Clarke still does not understand why Prank and Kalis think that wearing a hat to practice is funny.

“Everyone just laughs at me in almost everything I do,” Clarke said. “I was wearing the hat to practice to keep the sun out of my face. I did not want to get sunburned, so that was my best solution.”

The expectations for next season are high. Kalis believes that next season will be better because they are only losing four seniors.

“Hopfully, next season will be better,” Kalis said. “It depends on how many returners come to the tryout.”

Pranke, Gonzalez, and Clarke believe that next season will be a great year for varsity.

“Next year will be a good season,” Pranke said. “We have to fill in all of the seniors positions for next year.”

Gonzalez has bright future about next year.

“We are going to do better next year,” Gonzalez said, “We are going to have a lot more returners who have experienced playing on varsity.”

Clarke thinks that chemistry is the will make the team stronger next year.

“The chemistry was great this year,” Clarke said. “So, if we bring that next year, we will have the best season.”

Kalis is sad to see the seniors go and will miss all the personalities.

“Every group of seniors had its own unique personality,” Kalis said. “It is always sad to see the teams move on.”

The team was 10-5-2 overall and 6-2-2 in league. Tracy finished second in league. Cameron Divoky, senior, was defensive MVP out of everyone in the league. Five players made first team all-league including senior Jacob Gonzalez, junior Moises Gonzalez, sophomore Lorenzo Gonzalez, sophomore Jake Pranke, and senior Cristian Ramos.