Q + A: Spanish teacher Julian Melgarejo

Melgarejo helps sophomore dave Adams.

Clayton Walker

Melgarejo helps sophomore dave Adams.

Clayton Walker, Staff Reporter

Julian Melgarejo dedicates his time and effort to teach Spanish 1 to students at Tracy High School. He enjoys watching the students’ progress throughout the school year; from not knowing anything about the Spanish language to being able to speak fluent sentences. Through teaching he feels as if he forms a personal relationship with each student, and he plans to continue teaching at Tracy High for as long as he can.

How long have you been teaching at Tracy High School? “I have been teaching here for 10 years now.”

What high school did you go to? “I did not go to high school, because I was still living in Mexico.”

What college did you go to? “I went to Chico State University here in California.”

What is your hobby? “It really depends what my mood is, but I like to travel.”

If you could travel anywhere where would it be? “I would love to go to Europe and see Venice or Paris; I have always wanted to go to Dubai as well.”

What kind of music do you like? “I was raised listening to Hispanic music, but lately I have been listening to a lot of 1980s music. Michael Jackson is pretty good, I love the peppy beats to the songs.”

If you could have any superpower what would it be? “I would change people’s minds. That way everyone would realize how to treasure each day.”

What is your favorite part about teaching? “I enjoy seeing motivation in each of the kids. Some kids really have a passion to learn and they are the ones that will get something out of the class, but it’s also sad because some kids don’t care and they most likely won’t take anything away from the class.”

What is your favorite movie? “I don’t have a favorite movie. I do enjoy a good action movie though. Sometimes I will play a movie in Spanish to the class and the students have to make a list of words and sentences they recognize.

What is your favorite animal? “I would love to be a flying unicorn with a golden horn.”

Would you rather speak English or Spanish? “I really have no preference because I am fluid in both. I want to learn more languages, they really are a privilege to learn.