Q + A: English teacher Sarah Rockey

Ellie Fisher

Mrs. Rockey is writting on the white board while teaching her class.

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

Sarah Rockey is an English teacher for English Language Learner students, which are the students who do not speak English very well. She loves her job and always wanted to be a teacher. Rockey is happiest when she is with her niece and nephew.

What was the last book you read? “‘Crime and Punishment’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I liked the book, but it just took too long to get to the conclusion.”

What do you love most about your job? “Working with teenagers makes my job fun because teenagers are sweet and cute to be around.”

What is the best trip you have taken? “Going to Mount Rushmore. I went on this trip last summer, so I remember it the best. It was just a fun and relaxing road trip.”

What is the best meal you have ever had? “My mom’s Thanksgiving dinner is the best! It consists of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry relish, and bread rolls.”

What did you wanted to be when you were a kid? “In eighth grade, I wanted to be a teacher, so I would not change my job for anything.”

Who is your favorite superhero? “The Greatest American Hero because even though he has flaws, he still tries.”

What was your first car? “It was 1978 Toyota Celica that I bought with an advance with my credit card. It looked like garbage and it rarely ran. Bless that it tried though. It was electric blue and I painted it myself.”

What makes you happy? “My niece and nephew make me happy because they are adorable!”

What drives or motivates you? “I believe that one person can change the world, and knowing that makes me try harder.”

If you can have one thing in your classroom, what would it be? “I already have the greatest classroom ever.”

What is one thing your students will learn this year? “English because I have ELD students, so they actually do not speak English.”