Q + A: English and Journalism teacher Wayne Thallander

Wayne Thallander and Tracy High Scholar & Athlete Associate Editor, junior Blake Lazar, discuss due dates for stories in Thallanders fourth period Journalism class.

Haley Jensen

Wayne Thallander and Tracy High Scholar & Athlete Associate Editor, junior Blake Lazar, discuss due dates for stories in Thallander’s fourth period Journalism class.

Haley Jensen, Editor-in-Chief

Freshman English and Journalism teacher Wayne Thallander has been at Tracy High for 34 years. He enjoys seeing the light come on in his students’ eyes when a lesson gets through to them. Outside of school, Thallander pursues hobbies such as traveling, reading, and photography.

What is your favorite part of being a teacher? “My favorite part of teaching is when you know that a student understands the concept that is being taught. I like seeing students make a genuine effort in class.”

What is your least favorite part of being a teacher? “I don’t like correcting tons and tons of papers. It is tough dealing with students when they don’t make an effort.”

What has been your greatest accomplishment? “I think some of my greatest accomplishments may seem small to some people, but they are seeing students understand something, having the school newspaper inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Hall of Fame, and coaching basketball teams that won a variety of championships.”

What has your experience been like teaching at Tracy High? “It’s been great! Teaching here was my first and only full-time teaching position. Tracy High is an incredible school. I’m impressed by the diversity and breadth of accomplishments of the students and staff.”

What are some of your hobbies? “I like going to A’s, San Francisco Giants, and Oakland Raiders games to take pictures. I enjoy travelling, reading, and watching movies. I like action movies mostly, and I like traveling to the mountains near Twain Harte and Pinecrest.”

Why are you passionate about photography? “You have a chance to create something new. It’s interesting that you can look at an image you created and see different things every time. I also like taking pictures of people and sharing those images with them. It’s like creating a legacy.”

Where did you go to college? “I went to San Joaquin Delta College for two years, between 1972 and 1974. I got my Associate of Arts degree in Communications. Then I went to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo until 1976 and received my Bachelors of Science degree in Journalism and English. I got my teaching credential from University of the Pacific in 1977.”

What was your first job? “For my first part-time job I worked as a counter-boy and stock-boy at Hunger Pharmacy on El Dorado Street in Stockton. I also mowed lawns: my lawn, neighbors’ lawns, and the church lawn.”

What is the best advice you’ve ever received? “I think my parents always said to do your best and give a legitimate effort. There is always room for improvement. You know, they say, ‘practice makes perfect,’ but that’s not true. It’s actually that ‘perfect practice makes perfect.’ You can’t just do something, you have to do it right.”

What is your favorite movie of all time? “That’s a hard question. I like most of Robert Downey Jr.’s movies, either the ‘Sherlock Holmes’ or ‘Iron Man’ movies. Those are the ones I currently enjoy watching.”

What is the last book you read for fun? “Probably one of the last books I read for fun was a mystery novel written by the wife of one of the P.E. teachers at Monte Vista Middle School, Robin Burcell. I’m planning on reading others she has written.”