Q + A: Social Science teacher Rachel Hermann

Averie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Rachel Hermann teaches HA1, Intro to Psychology, IB Psychology, and Government/Economics. She coaches cross country and track at Tracy High. On her free time she enjoys to run and hike.

What high school did you go to? “I went to Manteca High and graduated in 1993.”

Why did you decide to become a high school teacher? “Part of it was because it was a good career choice. I like to share knowledge, and I enjoy working with teenagers. I like working with them because I am able to have a conversation. They are exploring and learning, I want to help them apply their learning into their lifestyle.”

Which subject do you enjoy teaching more? “I don’t have a specific one I like more than the other. They are all unique and different to me in their own way.”

What do you coach? “I have coached cross country for seven years but have been the head coach for five. I am also one of the assistant coaches of track and field. I have coached the hurdlers for eight years.”

Have you had any coaching experience prior to Tracy High? “I have coached at various different schools. I coached co ed volleyball, I was the assistant coach for girls basketball, cheer and dance, and a running program. Altogether I have coached for 13 years.”

How has being a mom impacted your life? “It’s very fulfilling. It’s different from coaching and teaching, it’s very enriching. One thing I did not have to do is change my lifestyle. I just make everything more family oriented.”

Do you have any hobbies? “I enjoy running, hiking, gardening, cooking, baking, and traveling. I have been to 46 states within the United States and have traveled to Europe, the Caribbean, and Canada.”