Q + A: Special Education teacher Mauricio Martin

Assisatant coach Mauricio Martin reminds players what to do.

Wayne Thallander

Luke Pulliam, Sports Editor

A graduate of Tracy High, Special Education teacher Maurcio Martin fulfilled his life-long dream of becoming a teacher and coaching two of the sports he once played in at Tracy, football and track and field. When he is not at work, Martin loves to relax and spend time with his two daughters.

What is your favorite movie? “My favorite movie is ‘Remember the Titans’ because it is an inspirational movie that speaks the truth and motivates people to do their best.”

What is your favorite type of music? “I listen to every single kind of music, there is not a specific genre, artist, or song that I am intrigued by. I just like all different kinds.”

What high school and college did you attend? “I went to Tracy High School, then to Delta College, then to Fresno State where I earned a Bachelor’s of Science in Organizational Management. I also hold a Master’s Degree in Special Education from National University”

What was it like to come back and teach and be a part of the staff at your alma mater? “It was a little bit different because when I came back is when the remodeling started to happen so a lot of the old buildings were gone, but now that we have the new buildings it’s amazing. It is a great opportunity for the young people today to learn in the best facilities.”

What do you enjoy most about your job? “Seeing the students succeed and being able to be part of their success.”

What sports did you play in high school and college? “In high school I did track, basketball, and football. In college I did track and football and I enjoyed building relationships with teammates and other schools the most.”

What is your idea of the perfect day? “Spending time with my kids (Ashley,18, and McKenzie, seven) and relaxing, watching them be themselves and having fun with them.”

What is the best trip you have ever took? “I have gone several times to Mexico and Hawaii and at both places I like the beach. It’s a place where you can be yourself, relax, and just have fun. There is a beautiful country out there and I need to be traveling more.”

What are some things on your bucket list? “Some of the things on my bucket list are to travel and visit all 50 states (currently at 16), go great white shark diving, and we will see where I go with the rest.”