Students should prepare for the future

Kharyem Mitchell, senior

Blake Lazar

Kharyem Mitchell, senior

Kharyem Mitchell, Staff Reporter

Students wait until the last minute to prepare themselves for college when they should have started their freshman year. Many students panic and make their senior year harder than it actually should be.

During the freshman year, students should be looking at what classes they are required to take. Students should take challenging classes to push themselves and to work harder. Also, students should meet with their counselor to discuss goals, and what they want to do throughout high school. Preparing for the PSAT is something they need do. It always helps to participate in as many activities as possible.

Going into the sophomore year students should have the mindset that this will be a pretty tough year. Students should load their classes as much as they can, especially if they are interested in a science major or a science career. During the fall students should take the PSAT. Again, students should meet with their counselor to check on their progress or if goals have changed. Over the summer, students should prepare for the SAT and the ACT. Students should read a lot, because that always helps.

A student’s junior year will be their most important academic year. These grades will be the most recent grades for colleges to see. Students should get to know their teachers well because these teachers will need to write recommendation letters. They should meet with their counselor again to check up on progress and how they are doing. This year students should be taking the SAT and the ACT. These two tests are very important to colleges. Students should start researching schools they think they might want to attend. Student should attend any college fairs or programs. Also, students should put themselves on college mailing lists, so colleges can see their name.

The senior year of high school does matter. Students need to continue taking courses and doing well. It is smart to use writing classes to help with college essays. Students have to take the SAT and ACT if they haven’t already taken the tests.

Going through high school is very hard, but once students get through it, it will be worth it.

Looking back at how much students have been through, it will make you proud. If you believe in something, then you can achieve it.