Tracy High welcomes four new staff members

Haley Jensen

New choir teacher Jennifer Grover directs her Madrigals students.

Haley Jensen, Editor-in-Chief

Many students feel nervous for the start of the new school year, but they’re not the only ones. Aside from welcoming a wave of incoming freshmen, Tracy High also welcomes five new staff members.

New English teacher Carol Garske is new to the school, but is a well-known member of the school district. Garske has come to Tracy High after teaching for 13 years at Gladys Poet-Christian Elementary School.

“I returned to teaching high school because my love is for teaching high school kids,” Garske said. “At this point in my career, I feel like I fit here the best.”

Garske received her Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in public relations with a minor in marketing from San Jose State. She received her credential through the San Joaquin County Office of Education IMPACT program.

Garske felt immediately welcomed into the culture of the campus and has enjoyed seeing former students and staff members she had worked with previously while teaching night school and summer school.

“I love being on the campus. It’s beautiful,” Garske said. “The staff is warm and welcoming. There is a really positive attitude at this campus. I feel very safe here.”

Even though this is her first year at the school, Garske is already involved in several campus activities and hopes to become as immersed in the school culture as possible.

“I want to acclimate and settle in,” Garske said. “I’m going to be a club advisor. I’m excited about seeing Club Rush week and going to Flower Parties.”

Another addition to the Tracy High staff is Jennifer Grover, who will be replacing Tom Renner, who has taken over District Coordinator for Visual and Performing Arts for former Tracy High teacher Bill Meyer.

“I teach 2 concert choir classes (beginning/non auditioned choirs), Madrigals, Women’s Choir (which is called Choral Company), and a beginning piano class,” Grover said.

Grover received her Associate’s degree in Piano Pedagogy and Vocal Performance from Brigham Young University, Idaho. She also has two Bachelor of Music degrees in Vocal Performance and Choral Education from CSU Stanislaus. Her varied higher education in music reflects her enthusiasm for music.

“I love music, especially vocal/choral music,” Grover said, “I also love to play the piano.  So, teaching it is an extension of what I love to do.”

Grover, a long-time resident of Tracy, felt instantly welcomed to the school, especially considering that her son is a freshman at Tracy High.

“I have lived in Tracy for about 15 years.  My kids all go to Tracy Schools and I even have a freshman son who goes here,” Grover said. “I did my student teaching here at Tracy High two years ago. So I feel like I’ve come home.  Tracy High is a great school and the community is great.”

Grover understands the significance of joining a performing arts magnet program and hopes to uphold the school’s reputation for quality arts.

“My main goal for this year is to just get my feet wet with this school’s way of doing things and general calendar of events,” Grover said. “But, I also want to continue to cultivate the great reputation of the performing arts magnet by producing good musicians who go out in the world and can be great representatives of the school.”

The Drama department has also undergone some changes. Jose Ortiz has taken over as the new Drama teacher, replacing Titian Lish who has gone on to teach at Las Positas College.

Ortiz has been teaching for nine years, previously teaching at Western Ranch High School and Patterson High School. While Ortiz has taught English in the past, his passion is theatre.

“I’ve been involved in theatre for most of my life,” Ortiz said. “Performing arts have a big impact on kids. It allows them to express themselves.”

Ortiz received his BA in theatre as well as his teaching credential at CSU Stanislaus. He received his Master’s degree from Grand Canyon University.

Ortiz had a great first impression of the Tracy High student body and was pleasantly surprised by the campus itself.

“I really like the school,” Ortiz said. “It’s been so extensively remodeled and it’s very welcoming. The staff has been great and the students are polite, prepared, and talented.”

Ortiz has not let the upcoming renovation of the Emma Baumgartner Theater alter his plans for the school year.

“This year is going to be a lot about getting to know the students,” Ortiz said. “My goal is, as always, to have the best theatre program in the area. I think that with the kids we have, we can be the best.”

Tracy High also welcomes alum Kenny Kinyon as a new security guard this year.

“I graduated from Tracy High in 1998,” Kinyon said. “It looks completely different now.”

Kinyon has already re-familiarized himself with the campus and looks forward to working at the school.

“It’s pretty fun to work at Tracy High,” Kinyon said.