Drama department begins year with a laugh in “Noises Off”

The cast of Noises Off bows at the end of the show.

Taylor Mellick

The cast of “Noises Off” bows at the end of the show.

Taylor Mellick, Staff Reporter

“Noises Off”, a play originally created by Mark Linn Baker, was performed by the Tracy High School drama department Aug. 22-24. Seniors and student directors Morgan Sterni and Beau Mantor practiced with their cast over the summer to prepare to put on the play only two weeks into the school year.

The play consisted of many actors who had never been in a play before. Even though it was a challenge Sterni and Mantor were pleased with the performance.

“We learned from opening night’s performance,” Montar said, “we did much better tonight.”

Opening night went great in the eyes of Sterni and Mantor.

“Everyone was laughing at the correct times,” Sterni said, “it was a time to remember.”

Sterni and Mantor were both very excited about student directing their first play. They had high hopes for it and at the end of the night.

The play caused an emotional roller coaster for both Sterni and Mantor. With many practices over summer, the two student directors were glad it was over.

“It was lots of fun,” Mantor said. “We would definitely do another one if we could. It has helped us grow as actors, as directors, and as individuals.”

The student directors knew exactly the genre play they wanted to direct.

“Right from the start we knew we wanted to do a comedic play,” Sterni said, “who doesn’t love a good comedy?”

During the first act, Dotty, played by Natasha Potts, can’t remember when she’s supposed to enter and exit. Garry, played by Aleksei Miles, can’t remember his lines. And Brooke, played by Allison Beteta, is without any understanding of what she’s supposed to be doing. Lloyd, played by Kody Forbes, is shouting out instructions for the actors as they prepare for the opening night the next day.

In Act two, the audience sees what goes on backstage. Many relationship secrets are going on and drama starts to happen. Garry and Dotty are in the middle of an unhappy relationship. Poppy, played by Jazzmin Fontenot, is pregnant with Lloyd’s baby. Selsdon, played by Lorenzo Lucero, is trying to stay sober between his scenes. And Lloyd comes back stage to try and calm down his lover Brooke and save his play.

In act three, we see the front view again only to be greeted by a complete disaster. Instead of a play it has become a time to solve personal problems. Dotty refuses to come to the stage. Garry is drinking Selsdon’s whiskey. Scenery collapses and props break. In the end they carry off the show and the actors get Selsdon to say the final line of the play.

The play was filled with laughs during the last of the three acts.

“The door knob was supposed to fall off earlier,” Sterni said, “but other than that it went great.”