Vacations offer a break from the everyday routine

Photo Courtesy of Hunter Lew

A childhood photo of Hunter Lew (R) and her sister as they stand near a statue at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.

Hunter Lew, Staff Reporter

Everyone needs something that will get them through the day. Being a senior in high school, you would think that my number one priority would be graduation, but no, it’s Disneyland. Although graduation is exciting, it is still very far in the future.

I like to have something to look forward to. My everyday life can get very chaotic and busy. A typical day for me includes waking up, getting ready for school, going to school, coming home, and changing for work, going to work, and then going home to do homework. There is never any time in my day to just sit down and relax. There is always something that I have to do, and, sometimes, I just want a day to myself.

At the beginning of this month, I found out I was going to be going to Disneyland. My sister and her boyfriend got season passes earlier in the year and invited me and a friend to go with them. Originally, I was going to have to pay for my ticket and my part of the hotel, but my mom surprised me and said that for my birthday she would buy me an annual pass and pay for my part of the room. I was so excited when she had told me because I love Disneyland, and this meant I would be able to go back many more times this year.

Ever since I was a little girl I loved going to Disneyland. My family would always go to Disneyland on vacation every year, it had become a tradition. When my parents got divorced, we stopped going. This will be my first time going to Disneyland without it being a family trip.

There are so many exciting things to do at Disneyland, and since I’m going in October it will be decorated for fall and Halloween. Last time I went to Disneyland, they hadn’t yet built Cars Land, but this time I will get to see it.

Disney has so many surprises and secrets. There are tons of hidden Mickeys all over Disneyland. Disneyland has many shows to see. Some of my favorites are World of Color, Fantasmic, and the fireworks shows. Last time I saw the World of Color, I was so amazed. It was so much better than I had expected. I’m hoping this time that the show will be a little different than it was the last time.

I can’t wait to see my favorite character Pluto, and take pictures with him. I love walking down Main Street and Downtown Disney, to me, is magical. There’s a certain feeling you get when you are at Disneyland and it doesn’t compare to anything else. Going to Disneyland brings me back to my childhood.

Every time I’m in the middle of my day, and I feel like I can’t do it anymore, I always think about how it will all be worth it in a couple weeks. Lately, I have been stressed about school and work, and I’m constantly busy doing things, knowing that I will be on vacation soon helps me keep going.

I believe that it’s important to have something to look forward to. Sometimes we just need something that will keep us going.