District changes academic athletic eligibility policy

Emily Simons, Staff Reporter

This athletic academic eligibility policy for Tracy Unified School District is giving more opportunities to students who are struggling with grades. The previous sports policy did not allow any Fs or a grade point average (GPA) under a 2.0; however, with the new policy there is an allowance of one F under specific circumstances.
“Students can participate in sports if they had an F in the previous quarter,” Tracy High Athletic Director Gary Henderson said, “but they have to be on a probationary period and can only use this twice in their high school career, and it cannot be in back to back quarters.”
This probationary period includes maintaining above a 2.0 GPA, attending school help groups to bring the F up to a higher grade. While this policy may seem lenient to some, it is actually one of the strictest in the Sac–Joaquin section, as most schools allow two F’s as long as the student has at least a 2.0 GPA.
While this policy is influential on the student body, many students did not know that it has taken effect.
The school board passed the new policy as the new school year began. With the hopes of encouraging students to maintain higher grades, this policy could have a positive impact on the sports programs and the school as a whole.

I think that this will definitely encourage students who are struggling to continue participating in sports. Sports are a really important thing to many people, and this is a good opportunity for students because it will motivate them to do better.

— Isabella Arrieta

This appears to be a common train of thought that once students are unable to participate, they will have nothing to motivate them to maintain their grades. While there were many people who believe that this policy will positively impact the students, there are some who think that this may give students a reason to not try as hard.
“As a coach, I believe that this will make our sports teams a lot more competitive,” Track coach and Science Teacher Melissa McCullough said. “As a teacher, I think that students need motivation in their classes to keep their grades up and this might hinder that.”
“This may be a good idea, but I think that some students will take advantage and not care about their grades or try anymore,” sophomore Nicholas Leonardo said.
Some students were excited about the new policy as it will positively impact both the students and the sports programs. For teachers on the other hand, it poses the problem of students possibly not putting forth effort in their classes.

Student transcripts
Transcripts that the previous sports policy would have accepted.