Tracy High students serve as science camp counselors

Tracy High students enjoy their time at Jones Gulch Science Camp.

Jessica Ballardo, Staff Reporter

Science camp is an exciting way for high school students to interact with and help middle schoolers. Tracy High juniors and seniors were given the opportunity to attend Camp Jones Gulch in La Honda, California, in early October. Students were appointed groups of sixth graders from Jefferson Middle School to lead as cabin leaders throughout the week.

Tracy High senior Rachael Fernandez was a science camp counselor.

“I wanted to go because I enjoy helping kids,” Fernandez said. “I went in fifth grade, so I wanted to have the experience again.”

The experience is quite different as a cabin leader than as a student.

“I felt more in charge, and I was in charge of eight girls,” Fernandez said.

The cabin leaders assisted the students on several different activities throughout the trip. Activities included both outdoor and indoor games and informational trips.

“We went on hikes, to the beach, and we had a campfire every night where we sang songs,” Fernandez said.

Tracy High senior A’leia Terry also participated in the trip to Jones Gulch.

“I wanted to go because I went in sixth grade. The camp I went to didn’t really feel like science camp,” Terry said. “I knew Camp Jones Gulch was different, and it was a lot better.”

Cabin leaders were given a lot of responsibility when it came to looking after large groups of young students.

“One of the hardest parts was controlling all the kids,” Fernandez said. “It was especially hard to get them in bed at night because they all kept talking.”

Terry agreed with Fernandez when asked what the hardest parts of being a cabin leader were.

“It was hard to get all of the students to keep quiet when any of the teachers or naturalists were talking,” Terry said.

The most difficult part, which both cabin leaders agreed on, was the shower schedule.

“To save water, they had to take less than five minute showers,” Fernandez said. “We timed them, and the next girl had to be ready as soon as the other girl was finished.”

“I told the girls in my cabin that whoever took a shower the fastest would

I really bonded with and got to know everyone

— A'leia Terry

shower first the next day,” Terry said.

The cabin leaders were expected to get to know their students and make them feel comfortable through various ice-breaker activities. This allowed them to bond with the students and understand each of them individually.

“I went online and found some creative games that I could play to get to know the kids that were going to be in my cabin,” Terry said.

“I was able to get close to all of the girls and do several activities with them,” Fernandez said.

Although the experience came with a fair amount of stress, it also involved many incredible experiences for both the cabin leaders and the students.

“My favorite part was going on hikes and doing activities with the naturalist,” Terry said. “I really bonded with and got to know everyone.”

Science camp was a great learning experience for both of these seniors that attended.

“I definitely gained a lot more leadership skills,” Fernandez said.

“I learned how to be patient, tolerant, and more understanding as a whole,” Terry said.

Overall, science camp taught the cabin leaders how to handle younger students in specific situations. As well as being a fun experience, Camp Jones Gulch also taught high school students important skills that will be helpful in the future.

Science camp counselor positions are available to juniors and seniors later on in the school year.

“I will post an announcement in the bulletin and students will need to have their teachers fill it out,” science teacher Ellen Raco said. “The office then must approve the form.”

The next trip will be Feb. 29 to March 4. The positions are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Raco will need five boys and six girls.