Enjoy Halloween, but be careful of perceived dangers

Seniors have fun and dress up

Emily Simons

Seniors have fun and dress up

Emily Simons, Staff Reporter

Halloween. This “haunted” time of year has a positive reputation for children and adults alike, dressing up and having fun.  Is it becoming more dangerous though?

Many recent studies have been done about the dangerous of going out on All Hallows Eve (Halloween) and why people should avoid leaving their house.

Trick or treating is said to have become more dangerous as costumes are unsafe and people may have tainted or laced candy in hopes of hurting children and/or teenagers.

Police have put out bulletins warning parents to keep their children safe with the following proposals; sharp toys are dangerous to children, no wigs or flammable costumes as they can catch fire, no large or baggy costumes as children may fall and get hurt, and no masks because that can alter children’s eyesight.  This seems like obvious advice that would not need to be reiterated, but many parents need to be reminded that children are sometimes clumsy and may become careless when excited.

Any social media site will contain warnings about certain types of candies actually being drugs, or even finding objects, such as blades, in pieces of candy! Though there have never been any reported deaths by this, it is still a fear in many parents’ minds and the media constantly warns the public.

Many news outlets also focus on pranks that are played during this “haunted holiday”, particularly pranks gone wrong. People may get caught in the middle of this and get injured or bring blame to themselves. With this in mind, there is an overwhelming amount of negative attention directed towards teenagers and young adults who leave their house on this particular day, especially when they are in groups. However, teenagers are not a real threat to society and should not be taken too seriously.

With more media attention directed to the dangers of Halloween, obviously it will appear as if it is becoming more dangerous, but it really is not

— Emily Simons

With more media attention directed to the dangers of Halloween, obviously it will appear as if it is becoming more dangerous, but it really is not. Overall, Halloween is not any more dangerous than it has been in the past, so go out and enjoy it, but be careful not to let your guard down and let anything happen.

Gabrielle Arrieta and Kellan Shay dress up as a cheerleader and captain America.
Emily Simons
Gabrielle Arrieta and Kelan Shay dress up as a cheerleader and captain America.
Juniors show off their halloween spirit
Emily Simons
Juniors show off their Halloween spirit
Mrs. Teixeira's fourth period class dressed up for Halloween
Emily Simons
Mrs. Teixiera’s fourth period class dressed up for Halloween
Students dress up for the day before Halloween
Misty Pham and Justine Nasir dress up like Lilo and Stitch
Emily Simons
Misty Pham and Justine Nastor dress up like Lilo and Stitch
Students pose with their teacher in their costumes
Emily Simons
Sophomores show their holiday spirit
Emily Simons
Sophomores show their holiday spirit
rsz_snapchat-3074431127657526017-1
Seniors have fun and dress up