Girls’ basketball sets goals for season

Senior Jazmyn Gonzales dribbles up the court in a game against El Capitan .

Cassidy Denoyer, Staff Reporter

Varsity girls’ basketball coach Derek Solano feels good about this year’s team.

I absolutely expect us to do better than last year

— Coach Derek Solano

“Tryouts are going well; the girls are working very hard. I feel very good about this year’s players, but we need to work more on defense. I expect us to do better than last year, and I expect the returning players to assume leadership roles on the team,” Solano said.

Solano expects the returning seniors Jazmyn Gonzales, Natalie Johnson, Tessa Robinson, and returning junior Cailtlin Bowman to take on leadership roles and to get the rest of the team to improve its performances.

“I am enjoying taking on a leadership role among the team. Having my friends look up to me as one of the leaders of the team is really cool. I try to be a good leader by encouraging my teammates and helping them to the best of my ability. hopefully next year, I can be a leader for not only the returners, but the newcomers as well,” Bowman said.

The returners practiced during the summer tournaments held at Modesto Junior College to prepare for this year.

“I expect us to make playoffs and, as of right now, no new positions need to be filled. So that’s good,” Solano said.

Solano has high hopes for sophomore newcomer Izzy Valdez, a point guard, who Solano said is already making a huge contribution, being able to set up plays and gain the team more points with her accurate passes.

Solano is preparing the team for the upcoming non-league games, the Stonebarger Tournament in Brentwood and the Tom Hawkins/Tracy Breakfast Lions Tournament taking place on Dec. 26-30. Solano is preparing for TCAL opponents.

“I think defensively I am doing well. Offensively, I can improve,” junior returner Destiny Sandridge said.

To prepare for this season, Sandridge improved her diet, practiced basketball on her free time, played in the summer league, and attended the conditioning sessions.

“I am excited for all the tournaments coming up and I hope all my training and the teams training will get us far and help us succeeded,” Sandridge said.