Girls’ basketball has season goal at making playoffs

Stephanie Ascevedo, Staff Reporter

Senior, Tessa Robinson, looking for an open pass
Stephanie Ascevedo

Tracy High’s girls’ basketball team started the new season in a rough manner with losses to Kimball High, 58-46, and Cordova High, 46-38.

The girls’ won the Foundation game against West High, 61-33; their next game will be against Skyline High at Brentwood at 8 p.m. on Dec. 10.

Coach Derek Solano sees the girls’ going to playoffs, because they have shown great improvement this year.

“Although we are 0-2, in pre-season, we are looking to make it to playoffs,” Solano said.

Coach Solano has high hopes this year for the girls’, although he does say that they have a lot to improve on.

“I feel even though we have lost both games, we are doing things better, but we still have a lot to work on,” Solano said.

As a team there will always be strengths as well as weaknesses regardless if it’s a good or bad game.

“Our weakness is our defense. We might not score a lot every night, but we are going to need to work on keeping opposing players from scoring,” Solano said.

Solano decided to move up one player, sophomore Izzie Valdez, to play point guard.

Senior Tessa Robinson, a captain, has played varsity basketball for two years, it’s her first time being captain for basketball.

“This is my first time as captain, we have had only three games, so only main thing I’ve done as a captain is go up and talk to the refs before the games as well as calling out our team cheers,” Robinson said.

Being a captain takes dedication and hard work to accomplish goal for you and as well as your team.

“The main improvement for myself as well as the team has been my defense, but other than that there honestly hasn’t really been anything that has been hard for me to accomplish as a captain. Even though I am a captain, all of us are pretty close as a team, and we all just work together to get things done,” Robinson said.

As a captain, there will be high expectations for the team, Robinson wants to win league, make it to play-offs, and go as far as possible.

“My expectations for league as a captain is to make sure that we are always united as a team, play our best, and to always count on each other, basically just acknowledging that we are a team and basketball is a team sport,” Robinson said.

I believe that this season we have a good chance in making it to play-offs because we were extremely close last season, and this year we are already further along now than we were at this time last year

— Tessa Robinson

,” she said.