Tracy and West go toe-to-toe during the Crosstown Classic

Haleigh VInyard

Tracy stands at the line of scrimmage waiting for the snap

Haleigh Vinyard, Staff Reporter

The annual Crosstown Classic against West High will kick-off on Sept, 27 at 7:15 p.m. at Tracy High.

The Crosstown Classic began in 1996, when Tracy defeated West 14-10. Since then Tracy has won seven games and West has won 10. Tracy defeated West, 29-7, last year.

Even though Tracy now has three high schools the Crosstown Classic is still between the two original high schools, Tracy and West.

Head coach Matt Shrout has won two of the three Crosstown Classics as head coach. Although varsity wants to win this game more than any other, to Shrout it is just another game.

“To me it is just another game,” Shrout said, “but the team wants to win this game more than any other game.”

Shrout feels that the varsity will perform well against West.

“I do not know what the score will be,” Shrout said, “or if we will win but, I know that we will play well.”

As a starting fullback for Tracy, Chaz Briggs feels the pressure to win the Crosstown Classic.

“I’m excited to compete for the Crosstown Classic title again,” Briggs said. “I feel confident that we will be able to play well against them and win. We were able to defeat Kimball, who defeated West, also we have the home field advantage. This will help keep us going with so many people cheering us on.”

Students are also very excited about the Crosstown Classic. Tracy High junior Brookelynn Juarez believes that like the first game of the season that this game the stadium will be full on both sides.

“It might be a sellout,” Juarez said, “everyone from Tracy High School is going to be there as well as everyone from West High School.”

For the Crosstown Classic Juarez plans on being very spirited.

“I plan on wearing a shirt that I made, and green and gold socks, as well as a spirited tutu and a bow,” Juarez said. “I might even have on some face paint.”

Tracy High senior Heather Jaeger is excited for the game. Every year she looks forward to this game, because it is not just another football game.

“It’s never just a football game. This game is the game to go to,” Jaeger said. “I mean against Kimball, spirit is there, but it is not the same. The West game though there is just so much more spirit and pride in Tracy.”

This game is different because it is against one of Tracy’s biggest rivals. Ever game in the season is important because every team’s goal is to make it to playoffs, but this game gives a different sort of pride.

“West is our biggest rival. We share the same city,” Jaeger said, “and so as some people might say, there’s only enough room for one school in this town and to me, it is Tracy.”