Girls’ basketball start strong in league

Wayne Thallander

Girls’ Varsity meet for team huddle during game against El Capitan on Dec. 28.

Sarah Branstetter, Staff Reporter

Girls’ basketball enters the second part of the season, as the team enters into league play. Coach Derek Solano is ready for the rest of the season and looks forward to playoffs, building relationships with his team, and them with each other along the way.

League has just started, but the Lady Bulldogs are coming out strong.

“We are 2-0. We had a very big win against Lodi on Jan. 19,” Solano said.

“The season has just started, but we are already doing great,” senior Katie Amaral said. “I am very optimistic.”

It took some time for the team to get to their wins, as they had to work hard to come together as a strong, united force.

“As a team, we did struggle with playing to our full potential through the whole game, as the score can often become intimidating,” senior Michelle Espinoza said.

“We do had to work to create a better defense and stronger finish,” Amaral said.

“We had to learn how to play with one another,” Espinoza said, “but we have just found that chemistry on the court.”

Bonding took some time, but seemed to come easily for this group.

“They have really bonded as a team and have become very close,” Solano said.

“We bond during practices, team dinners, and while we wait for our game to start,” Espinoza said. “We all start dancing or doing something completely random with one another.”

“It makes me feel good that they are recognized and supported by their teammates,” Solano said.

As a coach, Solano has not only taught a lot to his players, but has learned more about himself and his coaching techniques.

I have learned that more than any other year, they are all very different and respond differently to my coaching style

— Coach Derek Solano

“I enjoying teaching a sport I love. I also enjoy seeing those moments when the girls get it,” Solano said.

With the help of their coach, the team hopes to make it into playoffs.

“We hope to qualify this season after missing out the last few years,” Solano said.

“We seem to be perfectly on track for playoffs,” Amaral said, “I look forward to the rest of the season.”

Through the week of Hoopla, the girls got uplifted to play ball as they saw their school and classmates supporting them.

“Hoopla got me excited because I got to experience a whole week about basketball, my favorite sport,” Espinoza said.

Overall, basketball has become a big part of each these girls’ lives.

“Basketball has made me a stronger leader and the patience to learn to get along with people who I never thought I could get along with,” Espinoza said. “I have created friendships that I think will last a long time.”

“I have met so many great people throughout the years,” Amaral said, “not to mention, it gave me the opportunity to explore fast food restaurants from all different towns.”

The girls have an overall record of 7-12 throughout season and league. A huge game against city rival, West High School, will take place on Jan. 28, at Tracy High at 7 p.m..