Tracy hoops look to rebound next year

Stu Jossey

Sophomore Miles Turner putting up a basket against Chevez

Marcus Guillen, Staff Reporter

Video

Tracy’s boys’ basketball season ended with a loss to West High, 69-41, on Feb. 16. Tracy finished league play at 1-9 and an overall record of 6-15.

Tracy will be losing two seniors Dylan McLeod and William “Billy” Shaddix.

Tracy was a young team, with at times three sophomore starters in Rory Henson, Matthew McDonald, and Miles Turner.

I don’t think we could have done anything different. This season was about rebuilding and learning how to play.

— Junior Cueva, head coach

Tracy looks to be stronger in upcoming years. This year was a test for the young guys to see if they could play at the varsity level.

McLeod reflected on his years playing Tracy High basketball.

“My junior year was my favorite year because we were 8-2 in league, and it was nice going to playoffs,” McLeod said.

McLeod and Shaddix played four years of basketball at Tracy, but do not plan on playing in college, as this season was their last.

“The thing I improved on most since freshmen year was probably my three-point shooting,” McLeod said.

“I learned it’s a lot faster at the varsity level, and even though they may not be as athletically gifted as you, they can still be good players and shut down different aspects of your game,” Turner said.

“The most improved player on the team was Matthew McDonald because he progressed the most from the first day to the last and played out of position all year,” Cueva said.

Tracy is looking strong in the future with so many young players on varsity and a sophomore team finished league at a 7-3, and 16-6 overall.

“Our expectations for next year are to be a more competitive team,” Cueva said.

“We expect to make playoffs in the next couple years, but definitely my senior year,” Turner said.

Cueva had a most exciting game and moment for the year.

“The most exciting game was at St. Mary’s, where we took the lead after the third quarter, but unfortunately came up short on the victory, also, Turner’s buzzer beater, game winning shot against Buhach Colony was exciting,” Cueva said.

Over the summer, Tracy is going to be having a summer league team as well as having summer workouts.

Senior Dylan McLeod dripping down the ball against St. Mary's on homecoming
Wayne Thallander
Senior Dylan McLeod dripping down the ball against St. Mary’s on homecoming

Sophomore Matthew McDonald trying to put up a layup against Lodi