Boys’ wrestling ends season successfully

Senior Alex Lopez wrestling

Emily Simons, Staff Reporter

Boys’ wrestling season is officially over, but four varsity boys made it to the master’s meet, making the season successful.

While four may not seem like a lot, it is a good accomplishment as many sports do not even have one person go farther than sub-sections. The four that went were Francisco Gonzalez (147 weight class), Alex Lopez (162), Brock McCarty (184), and Angelo Carranza (heavyweight).

To get to masters, these athletes had to place in the top eight in their weight class at sub-sections. While none placed in the masters meet, at league Lopez placed first, Gonzalez placed second, Carranza placed second, and McCarty placed third. Samuel Blackwell placed second in league, Luis Segura placed third, Austin Greene and Isaac Ibarra placed fourth, but none of them qualified past sub-sections.

“In the end, I wanted to win a team title, but taking individual wrestlers as far as they can go is more important to me as a coach,” coach Jonathan Blackwell said.

I wish more of us could have gone and could have shared this, but it was definitely still a great experience with only us

— Francisco Gonzalez

“I wish more of us could have gone and could have shared this,” senior wrestler Francisco Gonzalez said, “but it was definitely still a great experience with only us.”

To prepare for the end of the season the wrestlers worked hard, “I did a lot of live wrestling and went to In-Shape to run like three to four miles, but I mostly wrestled,” Alex Lopez said.

Lopez has wrestled all four years for the school and also plans to wrestle in college, preferably Las Positas or Sacramento State. Gonzalez is a third-year wrestler who has been on the varsity team for all three years. He plans on wrestling in college, but is still sad that his high school wrestling career is over.

Three of the wrestlers are seniors, so this is the last time that they will be able to wrestle in high school.

“I’m still getting used to the fact that wresting is over. I mean, I’m wrestling in college, but it’s different because I have been with this team for so long,” Gonzalez said.

“It sucks that the wrestling season is over, but that is why I’ll wrestle in college,” Lopez said.

“As a team, we definitely improved a lot over the season, and while I can’t point out specific individuals, I think it was a significant improvement,” Gonzalez said.

Senior wrestlers pose together after senior night.