SF food truck Bowl’d Acai takes an innovative twist on healthy eating

A+small+Original+Gangster+Acai+bowl+from+the+Bowld+Acai+food+truck+%28as+can+be+seen+in+the+background%29.+

Sanya Sandhu

A small “Original Gangster” Acai bowl from the Bowl’d Acai food truck (as can be seen in the background).

Sanya Sandhu, Staff Reporter

Bowl’d Acai is a modern take on the superfood cafe as it sells the most current food fads (acai bowls, fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies and juices) in the most modern way, in a food truck in the innovative city of San Francisco, located at the beautiful 14 Mint Plaza. They recently added poke bowls, a savory take on the acai bowl, to the menu as well. This truck is open from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m- 2:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. Yet no matter what time of day, this truck is constantly busy with a range of customers from athletes to students to workers looking for a quick and healthy meal.

The creators of this busy joint are Reza Morvari and Angel Serratos. Morvari and Serratos grew up together in the Bay Area, and found a mutual interest in health and fitness, so they decided to apply and share this passion for health through Bowl’d Acai by providing easier access to raw juices, healthy smoothies, and acai bowls. Rather than hiring workers, both creators personally run this establishment and create their healthy products on the daily.

The juices and smoothies are packed with micro-nutrients and vitamins and the bowls are made with 100 percent organic Brazilian acai berries. Acai is a Brazilian super fruit that is known for its high concentration of anti-oxidants and energy benefitting properties. Morvari and Serratos are committed to sourcing only the finest ingredients by using local products whenever possible.

I have been to this location twice. The first time I went there I got the “Original Gangster” acai bowl, a bowl that basically comprises of a thicker smoothie base with toppings. The base consisted of acai berries, strawberry, banana, and coconut water. The toppings included: granola, strawberry, banana, blueberry, coconut shavings, honey and I added peanut butter as well. This was the best acai bowl I had ever eaten, I could see and taste how fresh the ingredients were of this superfood. Not only was it delicious, but it was also great for my health.

I met Morvari the first time I went there and upon hearing that I travelled all the way from Tracy that morning, was given a free shirt. It was apparent how much these innovative thinkers valued their customers’ support as well as the quality of their products.

The second time I visited this establishment, I met Serratos who was equally warm and cordial as Morvaro, as he expressed his gratitude for my continued dedication towards their establishment. I got a smoothie called “Hella Green” which consisted of kale, spinach, mango, pineapple, banana, and house-made almond milk, which, again, was magnificent. It was full of bursting flavors. This combination of health and tastiness is very important for I am a vegetarian and thus it is extremely important to incorporate healthier foods into my diet, yet also enjoy them, which is exactly what Morvari and Serratos have done. They have also managed to set reasonable prices on their menu, with no single product on the menu exceeding $15.

This establishment has won many honors in the Bay Area, including recognition as: SF Weekly’s “Best New Food Truck”, being on  The Food Network’s “Guide to Healthy Eating in SF”, and being voted as one of the “5 Best Acai Bowls in San Francisco” on 7×7. They have also obtained the support of over 6,000 followers on Instagram from all over the globe who have also fallen in love with this innovative take on healthy eating.

Overall, the convenient location of this vendor, across from the Westfield Shopping Center, in the heart of San Francisco and Morvari’s and Serratos’ dedication and passion to providing health in an efficient manner, as well as their value and welcoming nature towards their customers, is more than reason to make the trip to San Francisco for a day of healthy eating.