New coaches lead boys’ swim squad

New coaches lead boys’ swim squad

Senior Nathan Hu swims at practice meet.

Wayne Thallander

Wayne Thallander

Wayne Thallander

Duncan Ordenana, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High swim team has new coaches, head coach Julie Verwijst and assistant coach Bo De Lange. Both coached water polo in the fall, but Verwijst and De Lange have switched roles. Both have had past coaching experiences at Kimball High School and with Ellis Aquatics.

“I started coaching swimming in 2000 for a YMCA team in Illinois,” coach Verwijst said. “Now I’ve got my foot in the door of a high school district, which is exciting because I have always wanted to coach at the high school level.”

Seniors such as Preston Tsang and Spencer Bishop lead the boys’ swim team.

I started swimming as a freshman and it has been awesome to have made it to finals every year. This year I’m looking to be top five in our section and make it to state.”

— Preston Tsang

“It has been a good past four years with the swim team,” Bishop said. “ I just want to compete and make it as far as I can during sections.”

A lot of swimmers played water polo, so getting used to the new coaches hasn’t been a problem.

“These kids are great,” coach Verwijst said. “The biggest challenge so far has been keeping them motivated and the paperwork.”

“The coaches are awesome and respectful,” Bishop said. “They work hard to help us improve our times and stay motivated during practice.”

The first meet of the season was a practice meet at Sierra High in Manteca on March 4. Tracy hosts a league meet against Tokay on March 25, at 3:30pm.