My life, so far: Madison Courtney

If I was giving my freshman advice, I would tell myself to be happier and go with the flow of high school and not be so uptight about letting people be my friend or going out and having fun. I would always come home and do my homework and be reserved. When I got invited places I would turn them down just because I was worried they wouldn’t like me after. Looking back, I wish I was more confident and more outgoing my freshman year.

Something I regret not doing in high school was not trying out for dance team or cheer. I danced from age 3 to 13, and when I got into high school I stopped. For some reason I believed I wasn’t good enough to make the team and the fear of rejection scared me away from not trying out. A lot of my friends sophomore year wanted me to play a sport, and I think I could’ve had a much happier time in high school if I had tried out.

My last high school regret was being kinder to the people around me and making more friends than enemies. My freshman year and part of my sophomore year, I was bullied and it made me push a lot of good people away because I didn’t want to be put in a position like that again. I wish I had realized earlier on that nobody likes the mean girl and you’re better off being kind. My senior year I did turn it around and try to be nicer and make more friends, and I believe doing that made this year my favorite year of high school.

Along with things I wish I had done, there were things I did do. Changing schools at the end of my sophomore year was a positive influence in my high school career. I went to Millennium, and although I think it’s a great school, I like Tracy High much more. It gave me the real experience of high school, more kids, a bigger school, football games, etc.

After graduation, I’m attending Las Positas Community College for two years and then transferring to a four year school to finish my degree in finance so I can become a real estate agent. I want to learn a lot about real estate and business itself, so that, hopefully, one day I can become an independent person and make a lot of money.

In the next month or so, I hope to move out of my house into my own place, and have a nice apartment, car, and job.

“Leaving high school, moving out, and becoming adult is a scary experience, but one I’m ready to embrace.”

— Madison Courtney