Tracy softball wins league; in section playoffs

Wayne Thallander

Junior Mikayla Coelho swings at a pitch against Tokay on May 3.

Marcus Guillen, Staff Reporter

Tracy’s softball team will be entering the playoffs as the number 5 seed and will play the number 12 seed Davis Senior High School of Davis at 4 p.m. on May 18 at Sacramento Softball Complex. Tracy’s overall record is 19-5 and league record of 12-3, finishing as league champs.

Being league champions was a goal from the beginning which  as the season was met as Tracy looks to continue the success into playoffs.

“It is a great feeling to win league the first year of coaching. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this program

It is a great feeling to win league the first year of coaching. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this program

— Paulette Keeney

,” head coach Paulette Keeney said. “It’s a privilege to make the varsity squad and these girls have proven that by how hard they work.”

Players feel it’s a big accomplish to win league especially for the seniors.

“I think it’s awesome to be first in league. The THS softball program is amazing,” senior Hannah Hylton, a pitcher, said.

Junior Mikayla Coelho and sophomore Rachel Cid were two of top players in league with their defense and  their offensive play.

“I feel honored to be one of the top players in league, but I still feel I am nowhere near my potential in being the best I can be,” Coelho said. “My teammates make me better and so do my coaches, so I owe some of it to them as well.”              

“To lead league in every stat is definitely something to be proud of. It shows how much hard work I put in,” Cid said.

Cid lead league in many categories including: .507 batting average, 5 homeruns, 33 RBI’s, 30 runs, .956 slugging percentage, and .598 on base percentage.

Coelho had a .477 batting average, and as a ptithcer was third in wins with 7. She was second in on base percentage with a .564. Fifth in strikeouts while pitching with 35, and fifth in earned run average at 2.39.

Other notable players that were top 5 in league stats were Hylton, who was first in earned run average at 1.02 and tied in fourth in wins with 6. Senior Ali Davis led the league in stolen bases with 13 and was fifth in runs scored with 24. First baseman Iliana Aguilar, a junior, was second in league in fielding percentage with .986.

May 19 will be the start of playoffs as Tracy is well prepared for the game at hand.

“I think that we are well prepared, and we are capable of going far in this tournament if we can put our five best games together,” Davis said. Davis will be playing for the University of Delaware next year.

“I feel that if the team competes to our best ability, we have a good chance at taking the win. We have been practicing everyday, which has been preparing us to go up against Davis Senior,” Coelho said.

One of the most improved players on the team was Hylton.

“Hannah did not mind what her role was, either pitch one inning or whole game, she gave it her all,” Keeney said.

One of the most outstanding moments of the year was the last game against Tokay when Cid hit a grand slam in the third inning with Tracy losing 1-0.

“When we started rallying hits together I knew this was our inning. It felt great to hit a grand slam because we took the lead and the win,” Cid said.

If Tracy were to win on May 19, they would play the winner of Merced/Enochs on May 21 at 9 a.m. If Tracy loses, it they would be out of playoffs and the season would be over.

Rachel Cid ready to throw the ball to first on May 3.
Wayne Thallander
Hannah Hylton pitching against Tokay on May 3.
Wayne Thallander