Q + A: Physical Education teacher Paulette Keeney

Paulette Keeney shows student their grade

Wamil Juthani

Wamil Juthani, Staff Reporter

Paulette Keeney is not only a Physical Education (PE) teacher, she is a person that students can confide in. Keeney lives in Tracy with and has three kids. Her eldest daughter is a PE teacher and she went to West High, her older son is in his fourth year studying to become a Catholic Priest and he attended West High. Her youngest son is a sophomore at Tracy High.

What schools did you attend? “Tracy High School class of 1984, then I went to Hayward State (Cal State East Bay) and Stanislaus (CSU Stanislaus).”

How many years have you been teaching at Tracy High? “This is my ninth year teaching and I love my job.”

How do you help your students strive for the best? “I tell students to change and challenge themselves to be better.”

What are your favorite sports? “I enjoy adult soccer. I used to play, but after I tore my ACL the second time, I wasn’t allowed to play anymore.”

What hobbies do you have? “I love fishing for salmon, coaching Lamersville volleyball, and hiking.”

What do you do during your spare time? “I watch my son play sports, ride bikes and I work out.”

What thoughts do you take home from school? “I think about students with trouble at home and bothered kids and their continuous (bad) reputation, I want to be their mentor and help them succeed.”

Why did you become a PE teacher? “I enjoy working with teenagers and I feel that they are misjudged. I want to be there for them and for them to allow to confide their troubles in me.”

If you weren’t a PE teacher what would you be? “If I wasn’t a PE teacher I would be working at an office somewhere wondering why I didn’t become a PE teacher.”

What is the best part of your job? “The best part of my job is teaching students proper athletic skills and techniques in order to become stronger athletes.”

What is the most difficult part of your job? “The most difficult part of my job is getting the students and parents to understand how important physical education is.”