Tennis girls takes leadership

Wayne Thallander

Camille McDaniel volleys the ball during a match

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

The tennis team has some new talent on its roster. Demsher is feeling positive about the season so far.

“All of the girls have been overcoming the heat at practices,” Demsher said. “I am really feeling positive on how the season is starting off.”

Two girls stand out when it comes to leadership according to Demsher, senior Maisy Green and junior Camille McDaniel.

“Maisy and Camille have been communicating well with the team and have been keeping everyone focused,” Demsher said.

McDaniel wants to make sure that everyone is include on decisions and of course wants to be a great leader.

“I try to lead by example on and off the court,” McDaniel said. “I want everyone to feel comfortable with each other.”

McDaniel has been maintaining her number two spot on the team by staying motivated and working hard on her tennis skills on and off the court. She believes that this team is having a great start and is hoping it will get better as the season moves forward.

Green has been playing with the tennis team all four years of high school. Being a senior, she feels she has to lead the team because she wants to end the season on a good note.

“I take it seriously because I am an upperclassman and I want the younger girls on the team to remember me,” Green said. “I want them to learn from my experiences from the past four years that I have been on the tennis team.”

Green has emotion about the thought of being a senior on the team.

“It’s really sad to think that the season is coming toward an end soon, because I do enjoy playing tennis, and I am really going to miss my teammates,” Green said.

Freshman Melanie Markovic still has the number one spot on the team. Markovic is playing hard and is hoping to keep on getting better.

“I want to try hard on the court,” Markovic said. “I think I’m maintaining my number one spot because I have had so much experience in the past, so that helps me a lot.”

Markovic has been playing since she was six years old and get her inspiration from her dad.

“I get inspiration from my dad because he has been my coach since I was young,” Markovic said. “He got me into the sport, and I just started playing it.”

Markovic’s teammates are also inspired by her talent that she shows.

“I have known Melanie for a very long time,” Green said. “I have watched her grown up and she is a fabulous player who I envy a lot.”

“I love Melanie,” McDaniel said, “She’s a really fun person and I am really happy for her being number one as a freshman because it is a lot of pressure.”

Markovic is hoping to play at the college level and is interested in Santa Clara University.

“I went to a camp over this past summer and it is a very pretty university,” Markovic said.

The next match that they will be playing is against Bear Creek on Oct.1 at 3:30 P.M. in Stockton.