Students consider purpose of college

Sarah Bai

Empty hallways symbolize students leaving for college.

Sarah Bai, Staff Reporter

For seniors, the word “college” has been bombarded into their minds, from posters in the “A” building to morning announcements. With such a prevalence, it is useful to examine what students think is the purpose of college.

“I feel like the purpose of college is to get a good education, to set your future, and to get a good job,” senior softball player Ellie Fisher said. “To help you get through life easier.”

Fisher, a recruited athlete who has committed to Santa Clara University, emphasized the usefulness of college with the opportunities it can bring. Fisher plans on majoring in business and hopes to work in the Silicon Valley.

Fisher is not alone, senior Rana Khan agrees. Khan plans on majoring in psychology.

“I’m going to college to get a higher education, so I can pursue psychology,” Khan said. “College is like a stepping stone.”

However, another purpose of college also arises–college as a time for discovery and enjoyment.

“You should go to college as a way to expand and discover some of the things you want to do in life,” senior Inyoung Hong said.

Hong wants to go to college for that purpose and hopes to go into the field of education.

With colleges, comes the topic of majors. Students had input on why students should major in a particular subject.

“You should major in something that will help you provide for yourself, but you should still follow your dream,” Fisher said.

Students recognized the concern with certain majors that may not necessarily lead to lucrative careers, but emphasized enjoying the major itself.

“You shouldn’t major in something that will get you a lot of money because there’s no point in working if you’re going to be miserable in what you do,” Khan said.

Fisher echoed Khan’s statement.

“If you really want to major in what you want, you should always do that,” Fisher said. “Whatever makes you happy.”