“Dracula” slated for November debut

Natasha Potts and Rebecca Fuller rehearse a scene from Dracula.

Jazmine Vining

Natasha Potts and Rebecca Fuller rehearse a scene from “Dracula.”

Jazmine Vining, Staff Reporter

Another month goes by and another play comes to Tracy High. The November production of “Dracula” directed by new Tracy High drama teacher Jose Ortiz is going to be a new take on an old classic.

Dracula is the classic novel and play about a vampire, Count Dracula, who falls in love with an English girl who resembles his past lover. He goes through the difficult task to take everyone out of her life to keep her for himself, In the end, all he ends up with is a stake through his broken heart.

Ortiz is confident that the play will be successful, even though it is his first production with the Tracy High drama department.

“I’m comfortable with the production. I have been in drama for 34 years,” Ortiz said. “Even though I didn’t know the kids or what they were capable of, I’m comfortable with my role directing this play.”

The cast and Ortiz will rehearse for six weeks, but due to scheduling conflicts in October, the performance dates were pushed back to November. This will gives the actors more time to rehearse.

“I run rehearsals until I’m comfortable with the students’ performances,” Ortiz said. “The more we rehearse, the better the chances of a successful show.”

Ortiz wants for the actors to gain knowledge as performers, but also wants to use the play as a fundraiser, so that there can be more opportunities for plays in the future.

Ortiz felt a lot of pressure to select a memorable play for his first chance at being a director.

“I was nervous picking what play to do because I didn’t know the students’ abilities,” Ortiz said. “After rehearsals I learned what they are capable of. I feel that it will be an amazing performance.”

Choosing “Dracula” was the right choice for Ortiz because he likes dramatic plays and horror dramas. He wanted to do a play that people had heard of and prove to the local community that even though he is new to the school, Tracy High will continue to produce high-quality plays.

Ortiz knew after rehearsals who he wanted to star in the leading role of Dracula. Junior Kody Forbes will be acting as the famous vampire.

“I feel that Kody has the ability to become the character and will surprise the people with his performance,” Ortiz said.

Forbes has been in four productions at Tracy High, including “Rumors”, “A Christmas Carol”, “Fools”, and “Noises Off” .

“I find that performing is a way for me to express myself and also a way for me to really open up,” Forbes said.

Forbes thought that it was interesting to see how Ortiz transformed the book “Dracula” into a play. He is really looking forward to the production and thinks it will surprise the audience.

“I really like plays Dracula,” Forbes said. “He is a complicated character and mysterious.”

Isabella Lord, sophomore, playing the lead female role, Lucy, finds the play exciting because it is her first horror production, and she thinks it will be even more amazing with all of the special effects provided by Ortiz.

“Performing for me is a way of seeing the world in another way, it really lets me express myself,” Lord said.

Lord is happy with her character she likes that it will be a challenge to become Lucy and make others believe she can bring her character alive.

“I feel that the play will be nothing like the audience had ever experienced and that they will be in for a shock with such a good performance,” said Lord.

Junior Natasha Potts plays the role of Dr. Van Helsing, has been in five Tracy High productions including, “Rope,” “West Side Story,” “Rumors,” “Noises Off,” and “A Christmas Carol”.

“I really like my character because it is different from any other character I have played,” Potts said.  “I am looking forward to the play because it is my first dramatic production.”

“I think all of us really have a strong feeling about the performance,” said Potts. “I like the directing style of Ortiz.”

All the actors feel that even though Ortiz’s directing is different from what they are used to, the play will turn out to be a fantastic performance that will be memorable and leave the audience on the edge of their seat.