• The Tracy High Scholar & Athlete was inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002

• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper

• Email for newspaper adviser - Gary Henderson, [email protected]

• Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360

• Tracy High is a California Distinguished School

Scholar & Athlete

Throwbacks that Go Back

Kyla Alexandre, Editor

Homecoming, this year, goes back in time to the 50s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Why not go back in time to see what high school was like for our faculty at Tracy High?

Music has always been a big part of every decade. Darin Haydock was in high school from 1981-1984.

“It took me a while to get into music, but when I got into it, I would say probably at that time, two really stood out to me. One was David Bowie. Once I found David Bowie I was absolutely in love. I also liked The Go-Go’s. I liked The Go-Go’s because I have very specific memories doing things with friends, listening to The Go-Go’s,” Haydock said.

Doyle Dixon, who was class of ’70, said, “I listened to Dylan (Bob Dylan) and The Beatles. We went to the Filmore several times and saw a million people.”

Lisetta Wallace, who was class of ’79, said, “My favorite music was Led Zepplin.”

Sarah Rockey, who graduated in ’95, had a music taste that went back to the 60s, contrary to the songs of the 90s that were out.

“I’m kind of weird, so in terms of my favorite, it would have been old things like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Eagles, and protest rock from the 60s cause I acted like I was a hippie,” Rockey said.

Music influenced a lot of lives. Even today music of all decades is still being listened to by the millions, keeping legendary artists alive.

Another element from the past was the technology present.

In the 90s, cell phones were pagers. The 80s had Atari instead of Xbox. The 60s and 70s had record players instead of Apple Music. It was an entirely different way of life.

Haydock said, “The Atari 2600 console, that was the bee’s knees, that was the greatest thing ever. I remember playing that thing for hours. The other thing was, Apple released the first Macintosh computer. My dad bought an original 128K Macintosh floppy disk drive computer. That was so amazing.”

“I remember being so excited when the electric typewriter finally came out. We didn’t have computers or cell phones. I had to talk to my boyfriend on a phone that had a cord, but we had a long cord so I would go to another room and whisper,” Wallace said.

Technology has come a long way in the past 40 years.

Friendship is a big part of high school, and whether you have a large group of friends or a small group of friends, they all influence your high school experience in one way or another.

“We lived in Las Gatos, it was a half hour to go to the beach, so I went there a lot,” Wallace said.

“I had a lot of different social groups that were really radically different. We played lots of Dungeons and Dragons. Then there was a group of girls that I was friends with, and I hung out with them, and we would go out to this hipster cafe in Modesto called Cafe Decadence, and we would all get coffees and desserts,” Haydock said.

“We should have been arrested, most of it had to do with cars,” Said Dixon.

Our world is still influenced by the past, whether it is clothing, music, movies, technology, or cars, we are always connected to the past through its culture. As time goes on, fashion is being brought back, classic movies are still being watched, and old music is still being listened to. If you could be apart of any decade, what time period would it be?

About the Writer
Kyla Alexandre, Editor

Kyla Alexandre is a junior, she is on the varsity swim team and loves to read, write, and listen to music. She wants to go to Sac State and work as an...