• The Tracy High Scholar & Athlete was inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002

• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper

• Email for newspaper adviser - Gary Henderson, [email protected]

• Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360

• Tracy High is a California Distinguished School

Scholar & Athlete

Varsity Boys Basketball Look Forward to the Upcoming Winter Season

Kieran Davis, Staff Reporter

The basketball team is looking very strong this year with a lot of young talent and experience coming in. The team has been coached by Junior Cueva for seven years. The experienced coach is excited about the upcoming season and looks to continue his past success.

Last season, the team had an overall 18-8 record and an 8-2 record in league, in which they tied with Lincoln for first. They are looking to improve those records. Their always tough rivals St. Marys and West High are opponents they hope to beat when the time comes.

Senior Isaiah Hawthorne has recently committed to continue his career playing basketball at the University of Pacific. Being one of only three juniors on the team last year, he looks to be a strong leader with his experience on the court. Hawthorne is excited to get into game play and feels confident with his team’s ability.

Coach Cueva will have a hard task this year when it comes to producing a team that can replace the six seniors they had last season. Juniors Trevor Pope, Rasheed Asaf, and Daniel Spencer hope to add both size and scoring ability to the varsity squad this year.