Q + A: Counselor Sharie Carey

Counselor+Sharie+Carey+speaks+on+the+phone+while+making+sure+her+students+are+on+track+to+graduate.+

Counselor Sharie Carey speaks on the phone while making sure her students are on track to graduate.

Katie Vogt, Staff Reporter

Keeping students on track isn’t always a simple task, but Tracy High counselor Sharie Carey has found a love for it. Carey’s job at the school is not always easy, but she is thrilled to have the opportunity to work with high school students and connect with them on a personal level.

What exactly is your job as a counselor? “Academically, my goal is to get students graduated and make sure they are on the right track. Personally, I’m also always here for the students when they need someone to talk to whether it’s good or bad.”

What do you love most about your job? “There are a lot of things I love, but I would have to say my favorite thing is developing relationships with the students over the four years.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “The most difficult part is seeing kids go through hard situations and not being able to fix it or make things better for them.”

What are your current goals? “Other than taking care of the students, I really am happy with where I am, and I feel like I’ve reached my goals.”

What did you want to grow up and be when you were a kid? “My dream as a kid actually was to become a high school counselor because when I was in high school, my counselor really motivated me and was very inspiring, so I wanted to do the same thing for kids. I really am happy with where I am today.”

What do you think is the best thing that teens can do to prepare for their future? “I think teens need to be open minded of the possibilities and options they have. What they are doing now may or may not be what they want to do in the future. They should take advantage of all the opportunities they are given, so they don’t regret missing out.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to go camping and to spend time with my family. I also like to spend time with my dogs Honey, Trigger, and Peach.”

What is the strangest job you have ever had? “I haven’t had very strange jobs, but I once was a fitting room attendant. I was strange seeing what some people chose to try on.”

What is the best trip you have taken? “It would be when I went to the Grand Canyon, because when I first saw it I cried it was so impressive.”

What super power would you like to have? “It would be to go back in time, because there are certain things I would like to do over. There are also fun times that I would love to re-live.”