Mock Trial team prepares for Providence Competition in Denver

Katie Low and Ameryl Loi go over case notes.

Blake Lazar

Blake Lazar, Associate Editor

As the Tracy High mock trial team enters its new season, teacher-coach Justin Nunn has high expectations, after last year’s team’s first place finish in the San Joaquin County Mock Trial Competition, and sixth place at the state competition.

“Although we lost many returners, the team is still strong and we will be ready for county in February,” Nunn said.

The team prepares by practicing once a week at school, along with meeting at attorney-coach Ron Indran’s house, and scrimmaging against similar in strength teams such as Moreau Catholic in Hayward.

“I know that we have what it takes to get to state again this year,” junior Gianna Mousalimas, who plays as a witness, said. “The loss of our strongest attorneys is a factor, but with strong coaching, we will get there.”

The team is preparing for the Providence Cup, a two-day mock trial competition on Oct. 18-19 at the Denver District Courthouse in Downtown Denver.

There will be county-winning teams from across the country. Nunn hopes this experience will strengthen his team for county.

“This year is a big leap for our team,” junior Ameryl Loi, who plays as a persecution attorney, said. “Many of the student-attorneys from last year helped us improve, so now we rely on ourselves to do so.”

Loi said that it was a major step going from being a witness last year, to the role of an attorney this year.

“We have had many difficult issues in the beginning of this season, but we take this seriously, and we’re on the path to win,” Indran said.

The team does not yet have the case for the county competition, but is working on the case for Providence.

“Everyone is putting in a great amount of work, and it’s great to see everyone as excited for the competition as we are,” Nunn said.

The cases for Providence are based off of historical events such as the sinking of the Titanic, the Linbergh Baby Kidnapping, the murder of Emmett Till, and the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.

“The team is ready for Providence,” senior Aditya Gupta, who is a four-year returner, said. “It has been fun helping out all of the new members, and we can really see the improvements.”

Tracy is guaranteed four rounds in the Providence Competition, but may advance into further rounds qualifying them for first place.

Many awards will be given such as team awards, attorney awards, witness awards, professionalism awards, spirit awards, and coach awards.