Donuts & Clothing At The Drive Through

Amanda Farmer

On November 13, 2020 the class of 2021 held a drive

through where students could drive through and get their class clothing, information on graduation, and a free donut. It was not required for students to have bought clothing to be able to come, it was actually encouraged that everyone went and picked up their donut and handout about graduation gear.

We went and asked the class president Ashleigh Hewey and class secretary Mysha Mamsa to give us a little more detail into the event as a whole.

“The idea was actually brought to us by our class advisors. They thought about passing out donuts to the seniors and we liked it, but we didn’t just want to do that. We wanted to incorporate it with something else, hence passing them out with the class clothing because we knew that that was something the students were going to show up for and thought this would be best.” said Hewey.

Behind the drive through more preparation had to take place such as getting the donuts, planning the spot it would take place, the day it would take place, who would be there to pass things out, and if it would all run together smoothly with the class clothing getting here on time.

“We got our donuts from Winco and at first they had to get approved because it was 36 dozen donuts which is a lot more than they usually make. It took them about a week to get it approved from the managers, but the donuts were great.” said Mamsa.

To make sure everyone was safe and that there was full security that it was socially distanced they took their own precautions to remain safe.

“When we passed out donuts we made sure to wear gloves and not touch them with our hands, everyone was wearing masks obviously, and we did it like a drive through to limit exposure.” said Mamsa.

Donut station at the drive through.The drive through was set up in a specific order to maintain a system and to keep everyone safe. Senior Sophia Flores attended the event and gave some more insight as to how it was ran.

“When you first drove in there were little areas for every part of it. The first stop was where they told us about the masks they were selling and where on the website to find the masks as well as giving us a handout with the information for graduation gear and other stuff in the handout. The next area you drove up to was where they gave you the donuts. This was another quick stop along the drive through. The final stop was where they gave you your class clothing if you ordered it, but if you didn’t then you could drive through. The whole process took not even 5 minutes, but it was good to see people other than your family.” said Flores.

The whole event included people who bought class clothing and those who did not, it was intended to reach the entire class of 2021. Senior Cameron Pereira did not buy any clothing, but still attended the event to get his donut and see some classmates during the drive.

“I didn’t buy any clothing, but I still went so I could be able to see people that I haven’t seen in a long time even if it was just from our cars. It went by super fast, but it was still good to be able to see some people other than on FaceTime.” said Pereira.

Students got to go and enjoy a quick drive out of the house while getting information that they needed to get regardless.

“The event was successful and we ended up passing out over half of our class clothing.” said Hewey.

We decided to ask Hewey and Mamsa if we could expect any other events coming from the class of 2021 in the near future

“We have talked about maybe doing a drive through again, but something different. As of right now we are trying to think of fun events for the second semester. So it’s all stuff that hasn’t been done at Tracy High yet, we are continuing to brainstorm since this is such a different year and no year has ever been like this. We want to use this to our advantage and start some new things up.” said Hewey.

Although there have been modifications the Leadership class and the class of 2021 are proving to go above and beyond with their new ideas for students to get involved safely.