Q + A: Band Director Jeffrey Kumagai

Band Director Jeffrey Kumagai working at his computer

Jazmine

Jazmine Vining, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s band director Justin Kumagai loves working with the Tracy High band. The students make him proud by succeeding and improving in their music talents and skills.

What do you like about the band? “They are a great group of students that have a great work ethic. It has been an amazing experience to be able to watch them grow into such talented performers.”

Where did you go to college? “I went to Fresno City College, then I went to University of the Pacific where I got my bachelor’s degree of music and music education.”

What are some of your hobbies? “I play the clarinet, also I play in a group assemble at the University of the Pacific. I play video games in my spare time. My favorites are Kingdom of Hearts, Final Fantasy 10, and South Park Stick of Truth. Karate; which I got involved in after watching the original ‘Karate Kid’ and after watching Power Rangers as a kid. I thought I might like it so I gave it a try and I loved it. My main hobby right now is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.”

What’s your favorite movie? “My favorite movie of all time would have to be “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, because the awesome story of how good triumphs over evil.”

How long have you been teaching band?  “I have been teaching at Tracy High for about two years.”

What are some of your current goals? “I want to have a good marching band in the fall, to have a strong color guard, and to have a good winning color guard and percussion section.”

Did you always want to teach music? “At first while I was at City College, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I taught karate for 14 years and after working with my students, I realized I liked working with the kids, and while going to college I became fonder of music, and after that I realized I wanted to teach music.”

Do you have a favorite animal? “My favorite animal is the tiger because I was born in the year of the tiger in the Chinese Zodiac calendar.”

Would you ever want to travel? “I would like to go back to Disneyland. I loved it as a kid. I also want to go to Japan because it would be an amazing experience to go back to the homeland. I want to travel to Brazil to learn from the original masters of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.”

If you could have any superpower what would it be? “If I had any super power I would want the ability to fly or to teleport, because I could go anywhere I wanted to and not have to deal with any hassles.”