Q + A: English Teacher Regina Johosky

Regina+Johosky+performs+at+the+faire.+

Laura Mitchell

Regina Johosky performs at the faire.

Rana Khan, Staff Reporter

Regina Johosky likes to be original, unique, and true to herself. She has many different hobbies and participates in Renaissance faires. She has been through a lot in life which has taught her to value her freedom and go for her dreams.

What is your favorite movie? ‘The Shawshank Redemption’. To me, it’s about maintaining hope and integrity in the direst of situations, and the balancing effects of karma. In several ways, those concepts apply to my life.”

What do you love most about your job? “I love being able to help a student reach that aha moment when they finally get it. It’s also really rewarding to see how much my students grow and learn from August to May.”

What do you love most about working with children? “They keep me on my toes. My mind can’t get old and fuzzy working with teenagers! That and they make me laugh. Humor is so important in life.”

Do you have any hobbies? “I love to sew, crochet, and craft. I also belong to a group called Danse Macabre. We do a historical reenactment at Renaissance faires. It’s exhilarating to parade in front of large crowds, as long as I have my mask on so nobody can see me.”

What are your guilty pleasures? “Godiva Sea Salt Caramel Gelato and Cheetos, but not together.”

Is there something about you that’s unique from everyone else? “I think the most unique thing about me is that I care much less than others do of what society thinks of me. I’m not afraid to be myself. So many people hide their true nature, trying to be what their friends want them to be. They don’t realize wearing the right clothes, being friends with the right people, driving the right car won’t get them anywhere or make them any better. That’s not for me.”

Do you have a bucket list? What are some items on it? “Not really. I find that anytime I make big plans like that, the world has other things in store for me. I’m very happy with my life as it is. I have a nice home, a wonderful husband, real friends, and a little one on the way! I have a list of realistic goals that I may or may not achieve. I’m happy if I hit some of them.”

Do you have a favorite super hero? “When I was a kid it was Wonder Woman. Now, I don’t really go for superheroes. I prefer the everyday kind that does awesome things for people without expecting any recognition for it.”

What is the best thing about teaching at Tracy High? “Most of the staff here are pleasant, level-headed people. The overall atmosphere is both innovative and supportive because we have awesome people working here.”

What do you consider the most important thing that you have done? “The most important thing I’ve ever done was to make the decision always to have my freedom. I stubbornly finished college despite so many hindrances because I knew being financially independent was my way out of bad life situations. I had faith that completing my education would lead to a good career where I wouldn’t have to rely on anyone else to support me. Not too long after finishing school, I found myself in an abusive relationship, and stayed for way too long. When I finally realized I had to leave, I was able to because I could support myself. I wasn’t stuck there because I had my own income. So many women stay in bad situations because they see no way out.”

What drives or motivates you? “I really don’t know. I’m sort of a work-a-holic. I just can’t seem to be still. It’s actually uncomfortable for me to sit and rest. If I’m not working on lesson planning or grading, I’m working on my house, working on my crafting business, or working on my yard. I think if I were to stop and relax I’d never get back up!”

What is your favorite day of the week? “Saturday because I have no schedule. I get to sleep in. I’m more of a night owl when I don’t have to get up in the morning.”

What is the best compliment you ever received? “Once, during a terrible time in my life, I received an email from a student who moved out of state. She said, I wish I could tell all those new students of yours how lucky they are to have you for a teacher. I truly appreciate everything that I learned from you. It made me cry. I still have it saved to my computer.”

What is the best advice you’ve ever received? “My grandmother once told me, “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” She’s got all sorts of wise sayings like that. They’re all in Italian, but she translates them for me.”

What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid? “When I was five, an ice cream man. In high school, a thoracic surgeon. It was my parents’ idea. Once my parents were divorced, I decided I should do what I wanted to do instead. I started taking more English classes and fewer science classes, and I never looked back.”