Girls’ track finishes strong

Girls track finishes strong

Elizabeth McIntyre, Staff Reporter

Running for Tracy High has been one of the most productive experiences in my life

— Emily Simons

Tracy High School finished the 2016 track season as the runner up in league.

“We ended the season in second place for TCAL. Great people on a great team. I cannot wait for the 2017 season,” head coach Jay Fishburn said.

All of the coaches, head coach Fishburn, sprints coach Mercutio Martin, distance coach Melissa McCullough, and throws coach Jeff Pribble, are proud of the progress the athletes have made over the season.

Alicia Woo, a varsity pole vaulter, is the only athlete on the Tracy High varsity track team who placed first in their event at the TCAL league finals.

“Having a dedicated pole vaulter like Alicia makes being a coach just that much more rewarding,” Fishburn said.

The varsity girls’ 100-meter relay, consisting of A’leia Terry, Jada Adams, Allison Piwowarski, and Rachael Fernandez, as well as the 400-meter relay, consisting of Melissa McDonald, Madeline Clark, Piwowarski, and Fernandez, placed fourth in the TCAL finals, enabling them to move on to sectionals in Elk Grove the following week. The 100-meter relay finished with a time of 52.94 seconds while the 400-meter relay had a time of 4 minutes 30.73 seconds

“Being in a relay can be difficult, but my girls took the time and the effort necessary to make a difference in their times,” Martin said.

“I’m in both the 4 x 1 and the 4 x 4 relays, which can be kind of stressful at times but finishing off my senior year with the opportunity to go to sections makes me happy with my athletic career,” Piwowarski said.

“I’m very proud of my senior girls. Taylor Wills placed third in varsity girls’ shotput, and Elizabeth McIntyre placed third in varsity girls’ discus,” Pribble said.

Wills threw a mark of 33’5.5″ to achieve a personal record in the shotput. McIntyre threw a mark of 99’8″ for a personal best in the discus.

“Overall, we had a great run, but next year our team will rise to the occasion and make Tracy High proud,” McCullough said.