• Follow our new twitter page: @tracyhighnews

• Follow our Instagram site: @tracyhighscholarandathlete for new and current updates

• The Tracy High Scholar & Athlete was inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002

• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper

• Email for newspaper adviser - Bond Cashmere, [email protected]

• Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360

• Tracy High is a California Distinguished School

The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Varsity Teams Fight for the Win Against West

Tracy+High+junior%2C+Cole+Mannina%2C+prepared+to+block+a+shot+at+the+varsity+water+polo+game+at+West+High%2C+October+6%2C+2016.+
Tracy High junior, Cole Mannina, prepared to block a shot at the varsity water polo game at West High, October 6, 2016.

Brianna Graziano

Brianna Graziano

Brianna Graziano

Both the girls and boys Tracy High Varsity teams came out with strong wins on Thursday, October 6th against West High.

The Varsity Girls won 4-13, against West, with Evalina Maas Espinoza as the top scorer, making 4 goals.  One of Tracy High’s Varsity Goalies, Sara Sterni, played out on the field, and scored 2 goals during the game. Coach Julie Verwijst, said “The team has progressed a lot”, and she plans on improving the players’ skills throughout

the rest of the season adding, “There is always room for improvement.”  She continued saying, “It’s a tough league, so our improvement will show through teamwork, and defensive play the most.”

Varsity Boys also came out with an impressive win against West.  Varsity Captain, Kor Hurst, was the top scorer. Junior Goalie, Cole Mannina, made several impressive saves.  At half-time, Tracy High was down by two points with a score of 5-3, but eventually made a come-back and won the game with a score of 5-8.

JV Teams Go Head to Head with Bear Creek Highschool

Tracy High’s JV Girls and Boys played at Bear Creek High School on Thursday, October 6th, 2016. Both boys and girls fought hard but only girls came out with the win

JV Boys fought hard against Bear Creek High school, but were defeated with a score of 12-1.  Caden Fry scored the only point for Tracy High and Connor Johnson played goalie all four quarters.

JV Girls won with a score of 1-3, as Jasmine Saldivar scored 2 points, leading the team to victory.  “Water Polo is a very physical sport”, said Freshman Goalie and Team Captain, Arianna Graziano, “But we all worked together and played off of each other’s strengths and weaknesses.”

The game of Water-polo is a very physical sport.  Arianna Graziano says that to stay fit for the sport, there is a lot of conditioning.  She also stated “often times, opponents will grab onto our arms or swim suits and pull us under water in order to get the ball first.”  “It’s very tiring stay above water for so long”,

In order to stay a-float, players use the method of treading water.  They move their legs in circling motions to stay above water, which are called egg-beaters. It’s also a struggle to focus on the game when there is a constant struggle to get the ball.  Players use aggressive tactics like kicking, scratching, and pulling underwater in order to reach the ball.

The team has played a tough season but they have proved to be successful and improve whether they win or lose.