• Follow our new twitter page: @tracyhighnews

• Follow our Instagram site: @tracyhighscholarandathlete for new and current updates

• The Tracy High Scholar & Athlete was inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002

• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper

• Email for newspaper adviser - Bond Cashmere, [email protected]

• Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360

• Tracy High is a California Distinguished School

The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

FFA Pumpkin Patch

FFA students, Dustin Mattos and Clayton Borges, handle the pumpkins picked by the elementary students in the annual FFA Pumpkin Patch event on October 13, 2016.

Katie Daly

Katie Daly

Katie Daly

FFA students and faculty worked together to shape the courtyard behind the H building into a pumpkin patch for young students from local elementary schools on Thursday, October 13. “I think the purpose of this pumpkin patch is to get kids in the spirit of Halloween and get them excited for the holidays,” asserts Tanner Charlesworth, an FFA senior.

Bright-eyed, elementary boys and girls in the company of their parents started arriving on the Tracy High campus around 9:00 AM, although prepping for the day’s festivities began much earlier for FFA. Mr. Gentry, an Ag teacher, was responsible for picking up pumpkins early in the morning with his truck and trailer.

The arrangement of pumpkins made the courtyard look like a real pumpkin patch, and after the day was over, students were allowed to pick a pumpkin to call their very own. Other activities included fishing for candy, a tattoo station, a bean bag toss, making candy corn and popcorn goodies, pin the face on the pumpkin, and a hay maze.

FFA students that have farm animals at home were encouraged to bring their animals for show at the pumpkin patch. In total, there were four ducks, seven goats, three chickens, three cows, one horse, and one sheep. The students that brought the animals were required to stay next to their animal and the children were able to pet and learn about the animals during the day.

Roughly eighty students from St. Bernard’s Catholic elementary school and eighty preschoolers from Villalovoz elementary came to visit the pumpkin patch with their families. Gianna Perugi, a devout FFA senior, beamed at the excitement she witnessed from the kids, saying, “It’s good to see the younger kids working with the older kids…I think we are bringing the community together.”

The day ended for the young students at about 2:00 PM, giving FFA an hour to clean up before the school day ended. Between 50-75 high school FFA students volunteered their time to help with the over 160 visitors throughout the day. “It was probably one of our best pumpkin patches that we’ve had in recent years,” affirmed Zac Sciortino, senior at Tracy High and FFA president.