Q + A: Math teacher Maria Bassett

Maria Bassett gives two thumbs up to a student during class.

Hayley Nunes

Hayley Nunes, Staff Reporter

With tons of energy, Maria Bassett loves her job teaching math at Tracy High School. She is an alumnus of Tracy High School and has been teaching at Tracy since 2007.

What is your favorite movie? “I like ‘Top Gun’ because it is an adventure movie, it has nice actors, both males and females, and brings back a lot of memories from when I was younger.”

What makes you happy? “My family, my kids all doing well, and my husband, and everybody being in a good mood make me happy.”

What is the best thing about teaching at Tracy High? “The best thing about teaching at Tracy High is having the daily opportunity to teach the next generation  of Tracyites. I have been in Tracy for more than 40 years and many friends I attended school with have had children in my classes.”

What was you first car? “My first car was a Chevrolet Nova, it was green and had a black top. It also had V8 and it was very powerful. I had the car for about four years.”

What was the best compliment you have ever received? “A lot people say I have a lot of energy.

What’s your favorite fast food place? “I think I really like In-N-Out. I love their regular hamburger. It is very tasty.”

What is the best trip you ever took? “Our family trips to Disneyland have been our best family vacations, especially when everyone was out of strollers and we would walk miles around the park.”

What is your favorite restaurant? Why? “Well, I don’t like eating out too much, but I do like Caesar’s Italian restaurant in San Francisco. My favorite dish is their ravioli with meat sauce.”

How do you help your students strive your students to be the best? “By staying involved and attentive to them and greeting them, that’s probably the best way to do it.”

What’s the most difficult part about your job? “Probably trying to have students to stay engaged because I am competing with technology, and students’ attraction to their cell phones.

What’s the best part about your job? “It’s different every two to three minutes, it has never been the same, and no day has ever been the same, not even the same period has ever been the same.”
What are your hobbies? “My main hobby is walking with my girlfriends. We like to walk and talk.”