Q + A: Art teacher Nancy Stamatis

Taylor Mellick

Nancy Stamatis helps Trevor Watrous improve his shading skills.

Taylor Mellick, Staff Reporter

Nancy Stamatis teaches art at Tracy High School. She enjoys writing books and making different types of accessories. She wants to teach her students different ways to become better in art and loves to see the moment when it finally all comes together.

What other things do you like to do besides draw? “I love writing, gardening, and cooking the most.”

How do you pursue your writing hobby? “I have written and done the art for two children’s books and written two novels meant for adults.”

What kind of jobs in art have you had before teaching? “I like to make purses and jewelry to sell at farmers markets and other places like that.”

Do you have any children? “Yes, I have two sons who are out of college. The younger one works for a sporting goods store, and the older one works for a toxic waste company.”

Do you have pets? “I have two dogs. One is a Shih Tzu, named Maxi, and one is a Dachshund, named Rocky.”

Why do you teach art to high schoolers and not little kids? “I can relate to the older kids better than the younger kids.”

What is the best part about teaching? “I enjoy teaching the kids. I want to teach them what I know and improve their skills.”

What is your favorite type of art to do? “I would have to say I love sketching and using color pencils the most.”

Who are some of your favorite artists? “I would have to be Picasso because he had so much freedom from criticism and wasn’t scared to pursue new forms of art.”