Q + A: History Teacher Karleen Kurys

Kurys+stamps+a+students+assignment.+

Katie Vogt

Kurys stamps a student’s assignment.

Katie Vogt, Staff Reporter

History teacher Karleen Kurys loves the subject she teaches, and showing students how important it really is in their lives. Aside from teaching, Kurys loves doing crafts, spending time with her kids, and traveling. After she retires, her dream would be to work at Disneyland.

What made you want to teach history? “I always wanted to teach elementary school, but I substituted an elementary class once and changed my mind. I decided I want to teach older kids, and I have always loved history, ever since fourth grade.”

What was your dream job as a kid? “Originally, I wanted to be a marine biologist because I really wanted to train dolphins.”

What do you love most about your job? “I really love trying to give kids a chance to see how history, government, and economics affect them and how they can use it in their lives.”

How do you think teens can prepare for their future? “They should really make an effort to think of ways to take what they have learned and use them. Teens should think of how it is beneficial to them because everything you are taught has a use. It is up to you to figure out how you will benefit from them.”

What is your dream vacation? “I would love to take my kids to Spain so they could have a chance to see where I grew up.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to spend time with my kids, and I also love to do things like scrapbooking, making cards, jewelry, and anything to do with crafts.”

What motivates you to keep teaching? “What motivates me is just having that one kid who comes to me and says, ‘Mrs. Kurys, you have helped me. Thank you’. It doesn’t matter who it is.”

What is your most memorable trip? “It was when I took a trip to Disneyland, and we had breakfast with all of the princesses. My daughter absolutely loved seeing them and talking to them.”

What is most difficult about your job? “It is really difficult to deal with the kids who don’t want to be here because they interrupt the learning environment.”

What makes you happy? “Simply having a good day makes me happy. I also love to see my kids try their best at anything.”