Lopez pursues dream of being a tattoo artist

Senior Breanna Lopez gets her first tattoo.

Photo Courtesy of Breanna Lopez

Rachael Rodrigues, Staff Reporter

Senior Breanna Lopez spends her time tattooing herself and others, a unique hobby that she hopes to pursue for the rest of her life.

She plans to go to an art school to improve her tattooing techniques.

“I haven’t been doing tattoos long enough to know what I prefer but I do like using blacks and grays,” Lopez said. “I also enjoy shading because it adds more detail.”

Lopez does not plan on starting her own shop, but hopes to work out of one in the future.

“I don’t think I will start my own business,” Lopez said. “Maybe do it as a side job or just keep it a hobby.”

Her dad influenced her most to start her tattooing hobby.

“I have always liked drawing, but sophomore year my dad bought me a tattoo machine to do tattoos,” Lopez said. “I have been tattooing friends and family ever since.”

Lopez has four tattoos, each one extremely meaningful to her.

“My first tattoo is on my foot. I did it myself,” Lopez said. “It is something I just randomly drew because I wanted to see how getting a tattoo felt.”

Her second tattoo is located on her middle finger.

“I also did my second tattoo myself; it consists of the Roman numerals XXII,” Lopez said. “This has a lot of meaning to me because it is just a number that seems to show up a lot in my life.”

Lopez was born on March 22 at 8:22, and her mom was also.

Her third tattoo is on her ankle.

“My mom and I got a heart on our ankles,” Lopez said, “We got it during a road trip to Los Angeles.”

They wanted to get a tattoo together as a memory of the trip.

Lopez’s most recent tattoo was the biggest and most time consuming.

“My fourth tattoo is a Harley V-Twin motor on my right thigh,” Lopez said. “My family owns a motorcycle shop and it was for my dad and brother.”

She plans to get both their names added to the tattoo soon.

“Tattooing is important to me because that is how I was raised,” Lopez said. “All of my family has tattoos and it just feels like home.”

Since tattooing is something Lopez loves to do, she enjoys the idea of getting money for doing something so effortless to her.

“If I pursue tattooing I could make a lot of money,” Lopez said. “For being such a simple trait, I love being able to draw.”

Lopez believes that a tattoo makes a person unique and gives you a way to stand out from everyone else.

“You can learn a lot about someone just by asking about their tattoos,” Lopez said. “Tattooed people don’t care if you are tattooed or not, a lot of people judge someone who has tattoos.”