Q + A: English and AVID teacher Bond Cashmere

Bond Cashmere talks to freshman Cody Bolton about his classwork.

Rachael Rodrigues

Rachael Rodrigues, Staff Reporter

Bond Cashmere, who teaches Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC), Advanced via Individual Determination (AVID), and English, is dedicated to educating her students about college and helping them succeed. Nothing makes her happier than when someone brings her coffee or spending time with her kids.

What do you love most about your job? “I really love working with the students. I like seeing young people get better, go to college, and make good choices.”

What is your idea of a perfect day? “In first period, someone brings me coffee. In second period, someone brings me coffee. In third period, someone brings me coffee. In fourth period, someone brings me lunch and coffee. You know how the rest of the day goes.”

Do you have any hobbies? “I enjoy gardening, I like putting pretty things in my garden. I also play with my kids; I don’t believe there is such a thing as down time.”

If someone else were to describe you, what would they say? “Opinionated, direct, and knowledgeable about college.”

What is your favorite place to eat? “I absolutely love Olive Garden. Baked ziti with extra sauce on the side is what I always order.”

How many kids to you have? “I have two kids. A five year old girl named Yesenia and a nine year old boy named Cruz.”

What drives or motivates you? “I constantly strive for success. I want to be successful, I want my students to be successful, and, most importantly, I want my own kids to be successful. Everything I do, I do for my kids.”

What college did you go to and how did it impact you? “I went to Cal State Hayward. Going to college allowed me to become a teacher, so it really changed my life.”

What is something that only the closet people to you know? “Peanut Butter Cup Perfection is my favorite ice cream from Coldstone. Chocolate and peanut butter together is the best combination.”

What do you consider the most important thing you have ever done? “Becoming a mother. I want to make their world better for them. I work with the community that they are a part of to make it better and improve.”

What makes you happy? “Chocolate, coffee, ice cream, my family, and helping students get to college. That is in no specific order!”

If you could change something about education, what would it be? “How slow it can be with embracing new ideas.”