Security guards react to new cell phone policy

Parnoor Khinda, Staff Reporter

One of the big changes at Tracy High this year is a new cell phone policy that allows students to use their phones during lunch and passing periods. The students may welcome this new change, but it effects the security guards who are responsible for enforcing the school rules.

“The new cell phone policy at Tracy High does not really change things,” security guard Debbie Goulart said.

While the policy gives students some additional freedom, they are required to turn off their phones as soon as the student enters a classroom.

Goulart believes that this change will not have a huge impact in terms of making a security guard’s job harder; however, some other issues may arise regarding safety.

Goulart worries that it may become easier for students to coordinate a fight during school hours.

“It makes me more concerned about the students, if students participate in a fight, they can say where they are, or even promote the fight through social media,” Goulart said.

Goulart has not seen any strange incidents occurring yet with relation to the new cell phone policy, but the new policy does create more concern for security guards and staff.

“I can understand students using their phones during lunch,” Goulart said.

Goulart believes that cell phones can assist students with their academics. Also, she believes that using a cell phone during lunch or passing periods may be necessary for an emergency.

In addition, the new cell phone policy may affect a student’s interpersonal communication skills with other students.

“Too much cell phone usage may affect the students’ social skills,” Goulart said.

Kenny Kinyon, a new security guard at Tracy High, believes that fewer limitations on cell phone usage may cause future problems with video recording.

“Using cell phones during break is fine as long as the system is not abused in a harmful way, like video recording other people without their consent,” Kinyon said.

Assistant principal Rashmi Ahuja believes that the new cell phone policy will be better for administration and students.

“I’m hoping with the new changes to the cell phone policy, fewer students will be in defiance and, hopefully, fewer students will be using their cell phone for the wrong purposes in the classroom,” Ahuja said.

“Students feel more relieved with the new cell phone policy, so they are less tempted to use their cell phones during class,” Ahuja said.

According to senior Chase Armada, the new cell phone policy will help with communication.

“The new cell phone policy makes it easier to communicate with parents for any particular reason,” Armada said.