Tracy cheer team ready for new season

Wayne Thallander

Tracy High cheer team performs at halftime during the Lions’ All-star football game in June.

Sarah Branstetter, Staff Reporter

This year’s Tracy High cheer team promises a season full of excitement and improvement from the back-to-school rally to football games and cheer competitions.

The team is really great and we will definitely be stronger for this season.

— Coach Sheila Soares

The team started practice in April. Since then, they have been working hard to perfect routines and overall connection as a team.

The team got together for its annual UCA-hosted (United Cheer Association) camp in Squaw Valley on June 17-20.

“Cheer camp was such an amazing experience. Not only did we learn new chants, dances, and skills, but we were able to bond as a team and form friendships with the other teams,” senior varsity cheerleader Mikaela Mizuno said. “I am very proud of our team, we placed first in every category and won the spirit award.”

While at cheer camp, the cheerleaders put in great effort to be the best cheer team at the camp, which took hours of practice. Not only were the girls’ determined to succeed, they were also optimistic about forming positive relationships as teammates.

“It was a hard experience, but it was really fun and we made a lot of memories,” senior varsity captain Tayler Krolczyk said. “Camp was a way that the team was able to come together as friends, not simply just as teammates.”

Although the team is bonding, they have many goals they hope to achieve before the end of the season.

“For this season, my goal is to improve as a team, especially concerning the difficulty of our routines,” Mizuno said.

It is apparent that the girls understand that in order to succeed they must have a strong relationship that allows them to trust one another when flying through stunts.

“I just want to have a really good season and become closely bonded with my team, as well as, improve upon our team from last year,” sophomore junior varsity captain Malorie Bournazian said.

The first football game is approaching, and the team will excite the audience with its first performance together.

“We are very excited for the first football game. We’ve been pumped since the beginning of camp, and we are just really ready to perform,” Bournazian said.

The girls hope to see more excitement in the crowd and they want the team on the field to hear everyone on the bleachers screaming.

“We will be working on pumping up the crowd to get them more involved throughout the entire game,” Mizuno said.

Cheer has become an important part of these girls’ lives, as it has proven to be an outlet to express their school spirit.

“I wanted to be more involved in school, make a lot of friends, and show my spirit,” Bournazian said. “What I love most is the family we have created as a team.”

This team is optimistic about the season and are eager to share their excitement with the rest of the school during football season.

“I like to be a leader and share my spirit, as I am a very spirited person and I like to show it,” Krolczyk said. “I also love working with the team, not just cheering, but helping one another to get better.”

Cheer to these girls is not only about supporting the teams, it is about bringing the community closer together by getting everyone excited.

“Performing during halftime in front of a large crowd and getting them to cheer with us creates such an exciting atmosphere,” Mizuno said. “What makes cheer even greater is that I get to cheer with teammates who are my best friends.”

The cheer team has formed a tight bond of friendship with one another.

“The chemistry among the team has gotten greater,” Soares said. “My cheerleaders are exceptional.”

Senior Mattison Stokes cheers at the halftime show during the All-star Lions' football game.        Junior Emily Vazquez cheers at the halftime show during the All-star Lions' football game.