Girls’ tennis team focusing on improvement

The undefeated sophomore Mehek Nagpal playing a match against Patterson.

Cassidy Denoyer, Staff Reporter

With the new girls’ tennis season underway, the team has had to make new adjustments and learn to stick to their strict practicing schedules. This year’s group is showing an immense amount of progress. The returning players are strong and the new editions to the team are improving at a rapid pace.

“The top players are doing very well, Sarah Kellogg and Mehek Nagpal are undefeated. Our record is 5-1 including pre-season and we are 1-1 in league matches. We beat Tokay and lost to Lodi. The next game will be on Sep. 29.” Assistant coach Patrick O’Brien said.

“They are having a great time and doing a great job, focus, focus more on the game and a little less on the fun.” Coach Paul Demsher said. “I think focusing on every point and not letting points laps or losing focus is sometimes a problem, our doubles need to work better together and volley better. I think we see lots of people improving through their hard work and practice. My expectations were met with this group so far.”

“I think that the other competition is challenging, but we will be okay because we have good coaches,” Senior Hunter Green said. “The skills I need to improve on are my returns, serving, and moving my feet. My biggest struggle last year was that I wouldn’t move my feet and this year, I have improved on that.

My goal for this year is to do better then last year and to move up on the ladder.

— Hunter Green

“My goals for this season are to improve my skills in tennis and bond with my team-mates, and, of course, have fun. The skills I need to improve on are hitting back hand and getting my serves in the serving box,” Freshman doubles player Tammy Duong said. “Since I am a doubles player, we need communicate and be able to help each other out quickly and without any hesitation. Communication is important, especially in tennis because you and your partner need to know who is getting the ball. Any miscommunication will me us up. We will handle this years competition by doing our best and staying calm.”