Computer Science explores how technology works today

Richard Newton’s computer science class made its way to the Computer History Museum located in San Jose on Feb 18.

The class was broken up into separate groups: the groups included a workshop where students had to design a new product which will be launched in 25 years, automotive vehicles, and robots. The groups rotated so that each student would get to experience each exhibit and how it worked.

“We got to experience what it is like to work for companies like Google where they attempt to create products that will revolutionize the future,” senior Todd Hoffman said.

“The purpose of the trip was to show students what led to computers over the last couple hundred years and where computers are now leading us today,” Newton said.

The whole idea of the field trip was to expose students to modern technology and let them get an idea of what the real world is like.

“The most interesting things to see were all the different ways people try to use  technology to make their own projects to solve their own personal problems,” Hoffman said.

“It helped the students get a big picture of how individual people passionate about computers made these huge gains, and without those people we wouldn’t be where we are today,” Newton said.

The students got to observe different artifacts that benefited to the process in technology today.

“I learned how technical and complex programming can get and how much dedication it takes to design these types of products,” Hoffman said.

“It made it more realistic for the students so that they can have an impact on where we’re going individually,” Newton said.

The field trip was a learning experience for the students and benefited those who plan pursue computer science.

We learned how the technology we use everyday works and how our society is developing even newer technological advances

— Maco Bermejo