My life, so far: Cera Domantay

Cera Domantay, Staff Reporter

If I was a freshman again, I would tell myself to be confident in everything that I do. I remember knowing the answers in class, but I was never the one to raise my hand in class and say it. I remember going up in front of the class to give presentations knowing exactly what to say, but still was not 100 percent confident. But the truth is, confidence is key. I wish that I could go back and boost my confidence ten times, and maybe I would not have been so anxious to step foot in a classroom.

Something else that I did not do but wish I did in high school was try out for the volleyball team. I played volleyball for four years before attending Tracy High. My confidence level definitely impacted the reasons why I did not even bother to try out. I used to tell myself I had no chance of making the team and was always comparing myself to the other players. Not trying out for my favorite sport will forever be one of the things that I regret most out of my high school experience.

Aside from my high school regrets, there are a few accomplishments that I am proud of. Sophomore year was a rough one filled with procrastination and endless stress. Going into junior year, I completely changed my attitude towards school and started to take my education seriously. It was the first year I actually started to study for my tests and aimed to turn in all of my homework. When I saw how much my grades improved from the previous year, I realized how important and simple it is to stay on track. I am truly proud of myself for not giving up, and here I am now, ready to graduate in a few weeks.

After graduation, I plan on attending a community college for two years then transferring to Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences to join their Associate of Science Medical Assisting Program. The Medical Assisting Program offers in first aid, law and ethics, EKG, phlebotomy, and medical business practices. I will receive hands-on training in a medical clinical setting which will prepare me for an entry level medical assisting position.

I hope to learn a variety of skills that can help me inside and outside of work and that will be beneficial to my future. I do not want to end up in a situation where I focus on one profession in college, but end up having difficulties finding a job in my field. Being able to obtain different skills can make it easier to find a job. Eventually, I would like to move out and get an apartment with my best friend Cecy.

I am genuinely looking forward to this next chapter in my life, with a lot more confidence this time.

— Cera Domantay